The bestselling LPN/LVN geriatric nursing textbook, Basic Geriatric Nursing, 5th Edition covers age-appropriate nursing interventions in a variety of health care settings. It includes the theories and concepts of aging, covers expected physiologic and psychosocial changes, and highlights delegation, coordinated care, end-of-life care, patient teaching, quality of life, safety, and home care. This edition is updated with the latest issues and trends in geriatric nursing, including changes to the health care system and demographics. Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Gloria Hoffman Wold's text provides a clear and compassionate introduction to geriatric care.
- Complete coverage of key topics includes baby boomers and the impact of their aging on the health care system, therapeutic communication, cultural considerations, spiritual influences, evidence-based practice in geriatric nursing, and elder abuse, restraints, and ethical and legal issues in end-of-life care.
- UNIQUE! Delegation, leadership, and management content is integrated throughout.
- Nursing Process sections provide a framework for the discussion of the nursing care of the elderly patient as related to specific disorders.
- UNIQUE! A FREE Study Guide in the back of the book reinforces understanding with scenario-based clinical activities and practice questions.
- UNIQUE! Nursing interventions are numbered and grouped according to health care setting (e.g., acute care, extended care, home care), in a patient-centered approach emphasizing the unique needs of the older adult.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions help in understanding how a care plan is developed, how to evaluate care of a patient, and how to apply your knowledge to clinical scenarios.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking boxes help you to assimilate and synthesize information.
- Clinical Situation boxes present patient scenarios with lessons for appropriate nursing care and patient sensitivity.
- Coordinated Care boxes address such topics as restraints, elder abuse, and end-of-life care as related to responsibilities of nursing assistants and other health care workers who are supervised by LPN/LVNs.
- UNIQUE! Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes address specific therapies commonl
Unit One: Overview of Aging
1. Trends and Issues
2. Theories of Aging
3. Physiologic Changes
Unit Two: Basic Skills
4. Health Promotion, Health Maintenance, and Home Health Considerations
5. Communicating with Older Adults
6. Maintaining Fluid Balance and Meeting Nutrition Needs
7. Medications and Older Adults
8. Health Assessment of Older Adults
9. Meeting Safety Needs of Older Adults
Unit Three: Psychosocial Care of the Elderly
10. Cognition and Perception
11. Self-Perception and Self-Concept
12. Roles and Relationships
13. Coping and Stress
14. Values and Beliefs
15. End-of-Life Care
16. Sexuality and Aging
Unit Four: Physical Care of the Elderly
17. Care of Aging Skin and Mucous Membranes
19. Activity and Exercise
20. Sleep and Rest
Appendix A: Laboratory Values for Older Adults
Appendix B: The Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS)
Appendix C: Modified MyPyramid for Older Adults
Appendix D: Dietary Information for Older Adults
Appendix E: Resources for Older Adults
Bibliography and Reader References
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Nursing Instructor, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Milwaukee, WI