Make complex blood banking concepts easier to understand with Basic & Applied Concepts of Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices, 5th Edition. Combining the latest information in a highly digestible format, this approachable text helps you easily master all areas of blood banking by utilizing common theory, clinical scenarios, case studies, and critical-thinking exercises. With robust user resources and expanded content on disease testing and DNA, it’s the effective learning resource you need to successfully work in the modern lab.
- Coverage of advanced topics such as transplantation and cellular therapy, the HLA system, molecular techniques and applications, automation, electronic cross-matching, and therapeutic apheresis make the text more relevant for 4-year MLS/CLS programs.
- Illustrated blood group boxes provide the ISBT symbol, number, and clinical significance of antibodies at a glance.
- Robust chapter pedagogy helps break down this difficult subject with learning objectives, outlines, key terms with definitions, chapter summaries, critical thinking exercises, study questions, and case studies.
Part I: Quality and Safety Issues
1. Quality Assurance and Regulation of the Blood Industry: Safety Issues in the Blood Bank
Part II: Foundations: Basic Sciences and Reagents
2. Immunology: Basic Principles and Applications in the Blood Bank
3. Blood Banking Reagents: Overview and Applications
4. Genetic Principles in Blood Banking
Part III: Overview of the Major Blood Groups
5. ABO and H Blood Group Systems and Secretor Status
6. Rh Blood Group System
7. Other Red Cell Blood Group Systems, Human Leukocyte Antigens, and Platelet Antigens
Part IV: Essentials of Pretransfusion Testing
8. Antibody Detection and Identification
9. Compatibility Testing
10. Blood Bank Automation for Transfusion Services
Part V: Clinical Considerations in Immunohematology
11. Adverse Complications of Transfusions
12. Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn
Part VI: Blood Collecting and Testing
13. Donor Selection and Phlebotomy
14. Testing of Donor Blood
Part VII: Blood Component Preparation and Transfusion Therapy
15. Blood Component Preparation and Therapy
16. Transfusion Therapy in Selected Patients
Appendix A: Answers to Study Questions
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 1st September 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
OneBlood, Inc., Lauderhill, Florida
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.