Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Introduction to plastics and polymers for automotive industry
2. Polymer materials and polymeric structures
3. Microstructures of polymers
4. Physical and mechanical properties
5. Rheology and plastic flow
6. Flow analysis with injection molding
7. Commodity thermoplastics
8. Engineering thermoplastics
9. Elastomers and rubbers
10. Bio-based and biodegradable plastics
11. Thermoset polymers
12. Polymer composites
14. Injection molding
15. Blow molding
16. Compressions molding
17. Recycling and environmental aspects
18. Design aspects in automotive plastics and composites
19. Additive manufacturing in the automotive industry
20. Sustainable plastic car
Appendix A. Answers to homework problems and true/false questions
Automotive Plastics and Composites: Materials and Processing is an essential guide to the use of plastic and polymer composites in automotive applications, whether in the exterior, interior, under-the-hood, or powertrain, with a focus on materials, properties, and processing.
The book begins by introducing plastics and polymers for the automotive industry, discussing polymer materials and structures, mechanical, chemical, and physical properties, rheology, and flow analysis. In the second part of the book, each chapter is dedicated to a category of material, and considers the manufacture, processing, properties, shrinkage, and possible applications, in each case. Two chapters on polymer processing provide detailed information on both closed-mold and open-mold processing. The final chapters explain other key aspects, such as recycling and sustainability, design principles, tooling, and future trends.
This book is an ideal reference for plastics engineers, product designers, technicians, scientists, and R&D professionals who are looking to develop materials, components, or products for automotive applications. The book also intends to guide researchers, scientists, and advanced students in plastics engineering, polymer processing, and materials science and engineering.
- Analyzes mechanical, chemical, physical, and thermal properties, enabling the reader to select the appropriate material for specific applications
- Explains polymer processing, with thorough coverage of operations across both closed-mold and open-mold processing
- Provides systematic coverage of materials, including commodity and engineering thermoplastics, bio-based plastics, thermosets, composites, elastomeric polymers, and 3D-printed plastics
Industry: Plastics engineers, product designers, technicians, scientists, and R&D professionals, looking to develop materials, components, or products, for automotive applications. Academia: Researchers, scientists and advanced students in plastics engineering, polymer processing, and materials science and engineering
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 2021
- 18th June 2021
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Joseph P. Greene is a retired professor with 20 years of teaching experience at the Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering and Sustainable Manufacturing Department of California State University, Chico. Prof. Greene received a PhD in Chemical Engineering in 1993 from the University of Michigan. He began teaching at California State University, Chico, in 1998 after a 14-year career with General Motors Corporation in Detroit, MI. His research interests include plastics materials for automotive applications, bio-based and biodegradable polymers, recycled plastics, composting technology, and anaerobic digestion.
Professor (retired), Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering and Sustainable Manufacturing Department, California State University, Chico, CA, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.