This handbook offers a succinct study of Childhood Development Paediatrics with practical applications for helping the child and family through all areas of the developmental process.
The book covers diverse topics like developmental delay, learning difficulties, attention deficit disorders, autism, Asperger syndrome, behaviour difficulties, language disorders, school refusal, bullying, emotional difficulties, neurological impairments that affect development (examples being cerebral palsy and brain injury) and motor coordination problems.
It also offers online case scenarios on autism, ADHD, school refusal and truancy, cerebral palsy and child abuse and neglect. The cases are followed by questions to test the acquired knowledge of the student on these topics.
This practical guide to child development is ideal for trainee paediatricians, registrars, paediatricians and general practitioners.
- Seven expert contributors with extensive experience in child development enhance the clinical knowledge base conveyed in this handbook
- Deals with developmental issues unlike comprehensive paediatric or child psychiatry texts
- Concise format providing practical tips
- Clinically and practically orientated (e.g. history, physical examination, assessment techniques)
- Comparison of normal and abnormal/normal development
- Definitions (Chapters.8,11,12) to clarify terms
- Several chapters (e.g. Chapters 8,9,10) inform about special problems/illnesses, which are increasing in incidence
- Online case scenarios on autism, ADHD, school refusal and truancy, cerebral palsy and child abuse and neglect are available on Student Consult
- Combines physical and psychological problems in the development of children, which might be already present at birth (Cerebral Palsy) or which might be apparent later in life (Chapter 8)
Chapter 1: Normal development
Chapter 2: Developmental assessment in the young child
Chapter 3: Motor and Coordination problems
Chapter 4: Vision and Hearing Loss
Chapter 5: Autism Spectrum Disorders
Chapter 6: Specific Learning Disorders
Chapter 7: Language Disorders
Chapter 8: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Chapter 9: Behaviour difficulties
Chapter 10: School Refusal and Truancy
Chapter 11: Mood Disorders in Children and Adolescents
Chapter 12: Cerebral Palsy
Chapter 13: Developmental and Intellectual Disability
Chapter 14: Child Abuse and Neglect
Chapter 15: Legal Issues related to Child Development
"The publication of Clinical Handbook on Child Development Paediatrics represents an extraoridnary effort to c onsolidate the normal and abnormal development of children with practical applications for helping the child and family through all areas of the developmental process...This book will be a very useful resource across the world including resour e poor setting, among edical doctors including trainees and general practitioners, among paediatricians especially general paediatricians and paediatric neurologists."
Journal of the European Paediatric Neurology Society, January 2014
"A sound understanding of the basis and practice of the normally developing child is key to the management of children. Traditional training programmes in paediatrics are largely hospital based and by necessity focus primarily on the life threatening medical disorders. Less exposure is received by trainees in the disciplines spanning the diagnosis and management of chronic disabling illness.
In A Clinical Handbook on Child Development Paediatrics, Dr Johnson has rallied a group of professionals who are experts in their field and who have collectively covered the important general principles of the developmental paediatrics as well as giving more in depth approaches to some of the key developmental disabilities.
This book is an excellent overview of the discipline of developmental paediatrics. It is presented in an accessible format using succinct text interspersed with summary points and tables allowing easy access to the core information in each chapter. Extensive reference lists at the end of each chapter guide the interested reader in relevant literature should they need to explore a particular topic in more detail. The online case-based learning tool is an powerful addition to the book as a training tool. The content is relevant across first-world as well as resource limited contexts. I would strongly recommend