Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Aromatic Herbs in Food: Bioactive Compounds, Processing, and Applications thoroughly explores three critical dimensions: properties of bioactive compounds, recovery and applications. The book covers the most trending topics in herbs’ applications, putting emphasis on the health components of spices and herbs, their culinary use, their application for the treatment of functional gastrointestinal disorders, quality and safety requirements for usage in foods, processing, extraction technologies, green extraction technologies, encapsulation of recovered bioactives, applications and interactions with food components, applications as food supplements for weight loss, usage in active food packaging, the applications of rosemary and sage extracts, and much more.
This book is ideal for food scientists, technologists, engineers and chemists working in the whole food science field. In addition, nutrition researchers working on food applications and food processing will find the content very valuable.
- Covers all the important aspects of herbs, such as properties, processing, recovery issues and their applications
- Brings the health components of spices and herbs, their culinary use and applications for the treatment of functional gastrointestinal disorders
- Explores herbs’ processing, extraction technologies, green extraction technologies, encapsulation of recovered bioactives, applications, and interactions with food components
Food scientists, technologists, engineers and chemists working in the whole food science field
1. Introduction to nutraceuticals, medicinal foods and herbs
2. The health components of spices and herbs
3. Mediterranean aromatic herbs and their culinary use
4. aromatic profile of the rhizomes from the ginger family used in food
5. Herbs drying
6. Analysis of herbal bioactives
7. Extraction of bioactive compounds and essential oils from Mediterranean herbs by green innovative techniques
8. Encapsulation of herb extracts
9. Use of herbs and their bioactive compounds in active food packaging
10. Herbal slimming products and natural sexual enhancers
11. Legislation about aromatic herbs in food
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 22nd January 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.