Learn to calculate dosages accurately and administer drugs safely! Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians, 6th Edition shows you how to determine drug dosages, administer prescribed drugs to animals, and instruct clients about side effects and precautions. Coverage of drugs includes pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse effects. An Evolve companion website offers animations of pharmacologic processes, practice with dosage calculations, narrated videos demonstrating drug administration techniques, and more. Written by veterinary technology educator Lisa Martini-Johnson, this resource provides the pharmacology knowledge you need to succeed as a vet tech!
- Quick-access format makes it easy to find important drug information, including clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse side effects.
- Body systems organization follows a logical sequence of study.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures demonstrate proper administration techniques for common drug forms.
- Key terms, chapter outlines, Notes boxes, and learning objectives focus your learning and make studying easier.
- Proprietary drug names are listed with the generic drug names, highlighting drugs that have generic options.
- Companion Evolve website includes drug administration videos, drug calculators with accompanying word problems, animations of pharmacologic processes, and dosage calculation exercises.
- Dosage calculation exercises provide practice immediately after new information is presented.
- Review questions reinforce your understanding of key concepts, with answers located in the back of the book.
- Technician Notes provide useful hints and important reminders to help you avoid common errors and increase your efficiency on the job.
- General Pharmacology
2. Routes and Techniques of Drug Administration
3. Practical Calculations
4. Drugs Used in Nervous System Disorders
5. Drugs Used in Respiratory System Disorders
6. Drugs Used in Renal and Urinary Tract Disorders
7. Drugs Used in Cardiovascular System Disorders
8. Drugs Used in Gastrointestinal System Disorders
9. Drugs Used in Hormonal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Disorders
10. Drugs Used in Ophthalmic and Otic Disorders
11. Drugs Used in Skin Disorders
12. Anti-infective Drugs
13. Antiparasitic Drugs
14. Drugs Used to Relieve Pain and Inflammation
15. Therapeutic Nutritional, Fluid, and Electrolyte Replacements
16. Blood-Modifying, Antineoplastic, and Immunosuppressant Drugs
17. Immunologic Drugs
18. Miscellaneous Therapeutic Agents
19. Inventory: The Veterinary Technician's Role
20. Emergency Drugs NEW!
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in Veterinary Medicine
Appendix B: Weights and Measures
Appendix C: Antidotes
Appendix D: Common Drugs: Approximate Dosages
Appendix E: Listing of Drugs According to Functional and Therapeutic Classification
Appendix F: Controlled Substances Information Summary
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2021
- 21st August 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, Director; Veterinary Technician Program; Lehigh Carbon and Northampton Community Colleges
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.