Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Used to clean the borehole, stabilize rock, control pressures, or enhance drilling rates, drilling fluids and their circulation systems are used in all phases of a drilling operation. These systems are highly dynamic and complicated to model until now. Written by an author with over 25 years of experience, Applied Drilling Circulation Systems: Hydraulics, Calculations and Models provide users with the necessary analytical/numerical models to handle problems associated with the design and optimization of cost-effective drilling circulation systems.
The only book which combines system modeling, design, and equipment, Applied Drilling Circulation Systems: Hydraulics, Calculations and Models provides a clear and rigorous exposition of traditional and non-traditional circulation systems and equipment followed by self contained chapters concerning system modelling applications. Theories are illustrated by case studies based on the author’s real life experience.The book is accompanied by a website which permits readers to construct, validate, and run models employing Newtonian fluids, Bingham Plastic fluids, Power Law fluids, and aerated fluids principles. This combination book and website arrangement will prove particularly useful to drilling and production engineers who need to plan operations including pipe-tripping, running-in casing, and cementing.
- In-depth coverage of both on- and offshore drilling hydraulics.
- Methods for optimizing both on- and offshore drilling hydraulics.
- Contains problems and solutions based on years of experience.
Petroleum Engineer, Production Engineer, Drilling Engineer, Completion Engineer, Operations Engineer, Drilling Manager, Operations Manager, Project Production Engineer
- Chapter One. Equipment in Mud Circulating Systems
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Mud Pumps
- 1.3. Drill Strings
- 1.4. Contaminant-Removal Equipment
- Chapter Two. Mud Hydraulics Fundamentals
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. Characterization of Drilling Mud
- 2.3. Hydraulics Models
- Chapter Three. Mud Pumps
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.2. Mud Flow Rate Requirements
- 3.3. Pressure Requirements
- 3.4. Horsepower Requirements
- 3.5. Capacities of Mud Pumps
- Chapter Four. Mud Hydraulics Optimization
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. The Criteria of Hydraulics Optimization
- 4.3. The Optimum Design of a Hydraulics Program
- Chapter Five. Equipment in Gas Drilling Systems
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Surface Equipment
- 5.3. Downhole Equipment
- Chapter Six. Gas Compressors
- 6.1. Introduction
- 6.2. Gas Flow Mechanics
- 6.3. Gas Injection Rate Requirements
- 6.4. Gas Injection Pressure Requirements
- 6.5. Horsepower Requirements
- Chapter Seven. Gas Drilling Operations
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. Gas Drilling Procedures
- 7.3. Problems and Solutions
- Chapter Eight. Equipment in Underbalanced Drilling Systems
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.2. Surface Equipment
- 8.3. Downhole Equipment
- Chapter Nine. Gas and Liquid Injection Rates
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.2. Multiphase Flows in UBD Systems
- 9.3. The Gas—Liquid Flow Rate Window
- Chapter Ten. Underbalanced Drilling Operations
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.2. Aerated Liquid Drilling
- 10.3. Foam Drilling
- Appendix A. Unit Conversion Factors
- Appendix B. Minimum Gas Flow Rates Required for Lifting Solids and Water in Air Drilling
- Appendix C. API Drill Collar Weight (lb/ft)
- Appendix D. API Drill Pipe Dimensional Data
- Appendix E. API Casing Dimensional Data
- No. of pages:
- © Gulf Professional Publishing 2011
- 10th March 2011
- Gulf Professional Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Boyun Guo is well known for his contributions to the energy industry in multiphase flow in pipe systems and horizontal well engineering. He is currently a Professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in the Petroleum Engineering Department and Director of the Center for Optimization of Petroleum Systems (COPS). He has over 35 years of work experience in the oil and gas industry and academia, and has previously worked for New Mexico Tech, New Mexico Petroleum Recovery Research Center, and Edinburgh Petroleum Services. He holds a BS degree in Petroleum Engineering from Daqing Petroleum Institute of China, MS degree in Petroleum Engineering from Montana College of Mineral Science and Technology, and a PhD in Petroleum Engineering from New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. Dr. Guo has authored over a hundred papers, served on many association committees, and published 13 books of which 10 of those reside with Elsevier.
Professor at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in the Petroleum Engineering Department and Director of the Center for Optimization of Petroleum Systems (COPS)
Gefei Liu is the founder and president of Pegasus Vertex, Inc., a drilling software company in Houston. He received his BS degree from the University of Science and Technology of China in 1987 and an MS degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1991. Before forming Pegasus Vertex, Inc., he was a senior research engineer developing drilling software. He has also been involved in engineering consulting worldwide. Gefei has published more than 20 technical articles on various drilling engineering topics and one book published by Elsevier (Applied Drilling Circulation Systems with Prof. Boyun Guo). Mr. Liu was nominated for the SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) Drilling Engineering Award in 2012. In May 2018, together with his colleague, he was awarded the Meritorious Awards for Engineering Innovation by Hart’s Energy for developing the CEMPRO+ computer model.
Founder and President, Pegasus Vertex, Inc. Houston, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.