- Presents the status and challenges of smart grid technologies and their implementation around the globe
- Includes global case studies written by local experts and organized for easy comparison
- Provides a brief overview of smart grid concepts and currently available technologies
Researchers, graduate students and professionals involved in energy transmission and distribution systems research, design, implementation, operation and strategy, as well as policy makers in the energy area
Table of Contents
1. Smart Grid Background
Section 1 - Asia
2. Iranian Smart grid road map and Iranian national advanced metering infrastructure plan (FAHAM)
3. Intelligent Control and Protection in the Russian Electric Power System
Section 2 - North America
4. Demand Response: an Enabling Technology to Achieve Energy Efficiency in Smart Grid
5. Development of a Residential Microgrid Using Home Energy Management Systems
Section 3 - South America
6. Case Studies in saving electricity in different parts of the world (Brazil)
Section 4 - Europe
7. Automation for smart grids in Europe
8. Smart distribution networks, demand response and community energy systems: field trial experiences and smart grid modelling advances from the UK
9. Impact of smart metering implementation on saving electricity in Distribution Networks from Romania
10. Smart Grid Digitalization in Germany by Standardized Advanced Metering Infrastructure and Green Button
11. Analysis of the future power systems to enable sustainable energy – using the case system of Smart Grid Gotland
Section 5 - Asia
12. Measurement-Based Voltage Stability Monitoring for Load Areas
13. Application of Cluster Analysis for Enhancing Power Consumption Awareness in Smart Grids
14. Smart grid and the role of electric vehicle to support the electricity grid during the peak demand
- No. of pages: 492
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 2018
- Published: May 29, 2018
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780128031438
- Paperback ISBN: 9780128031285
About the Editors
Affiliations and Expertise
Professor Ali Sayigh, Graduated from London University, & Imperial College, B.SC. DIC, Ph.D., CEng in 1966. Fellow of the Institute of Energy, and Fellow of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Chartered Engineer.
From 1966 to 1985, Prof Sayigh taught at Baghdad University, College of Engineering; King Saud University, College of Engineering, Saudi Arabia; fulltime; and also Kuwait University as part time professor. He was Head of Energy Department at Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) and Expert in renewable energy at AOPEC, Kuwait from 1981-1985.
He started working in solar energy in September 1969. In 1984 he established with Pergamon Press his first International Journal for Solar and Wind Technology as an Editor-in-Chief. Since He has been Editor-in-Chief of Renewable Energy incorporating Solar & Wind Technology, published by Elsevier Science Ltd, Oxford, UK. He is editor of several international journal published in Morocco, Iran, Bangladesh and Nigeria.
He has been a member of ISES since 1973 and founder and Chairman of the ARAB Section of ISES since 1979 and was chairman of UK Solar Energy Society for 3-years and consultants to many national and international organizations, among them, the British Council, ISESCO, UNESCO, UNDP, ESCWA, & UNIDO.
Since 1977, Prof Sayigh founded and directed several Renewable Energy Conferences and Workshops in ICTP - Trieste, Italy, Canada, Colombia, Algeria, Kuwait, Bahrain, Malaysia, Zambia, Malawi, India, West Indies, Tunisia, Indonesia, Libya, Taiwan, UAE, Oman, Czech Republic, West Indies, Bahrain, Germany, Australia, Poland, Netherlands, Thailand, Oman, Korea, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, China, USA and UK.
In 1990, he established the World Renewable Energy Congress (WREC) and in 1992 the World Renewable Energy Network (WREN) which hold their Congresses every two years, attracting more than 100 countries each time. In 2000 he and others in UAE, Sharjah founded ASTF (Arab Science and Technology Foundation) and Regional Conferences have been held in Sweden, Malaysia, Korea, Indonesia, Australia, UAE, Libya to name but a few. Prof Sayigh has been running an annual international seminar on all aspects of renewable energy since 1990, in the UK and abroad. In total there have been 85 seminars.
Prof Sayigh had supervised and graduated more than 34 Ph D students and 64 M Sc students under his supervision at Reading University and University of Hertfordshire when he was Professor 1986-2004. He edited, contributed, and written more than 32-books, and published more than 500-papers in various international journals and Conferences.
In 2000-2009 initiated and worked closely with Sovereign Publication Company to produce the most popular magazine at annual bases called Renewable Energy which distributed freely to more than 6,000 readers around the world. Presently he is the Editor-in-chief of Comprehensive Renewable Energy coordinating 154 top scientists, engineers and researchers contribution in eight volume published by Elsevier Publishing Company, Oxford, UK.