The number of cases of aortic disease is on the rise. In fact, 20,000 patients in the United States died from abdominal aortic aneurysms alone. Now, you can detect and treat the many complications associated with aortic disease in time to save many more patients. This title in the brand-new Clinical Diagnostic Imaging Atlas Series offers you authoritative guidance from a well-known cardiologist and imaging expert about when and how to perform the latest diagnostic imaging tests, interpret the results, and effectively treat the emergency. Detailed discussions of hot topics, full-color illustrations, and a DVD of procedural videos, animations, and downloadable image libraries help you provide fast, appropriate treatment for each challenging case you face.
- Offers detailed advice on when and how to screen for the most prevalent but often difficult-to-diagnose aortic disease to help you improve care and increase survival rates.
- Discusses the hottest topics in aortic disease, including imaging of the aorta • acute aortic dissection and late complications • intramural hematomas • thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms • TEVAR/EVAR procedures • coarctation of the aorta • traumatic disruption of the aorta • and more that prepare you to quickly diagnose and manage even the most difficult cases.
- Presents 101 fully illustrated case presentations with teaching points that make information easy to understand and digest.
- Addresses the advantages and limitations of chest radiology, transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography, cardiac CT, MR, angiography, and nuclear cardiology techniques so you can quickly determine the best imaging approach.
- Includes supporting evidence and current AHA/ACC guidelines for more accurate interpretations of your imaging findings.
- Uses a consistent, easy-to-follow chapter format that includes topic overview, an outline of imaging/diagnostic options, and case-based examples to make reference easy.
- Provides more than 400 full-color illustrations for expert visual guidance.
- Includes a bonus DVD containing hundreds of videos of techniques and animations that show you what to look for and how to proceed as well as downloadable image libraries for use in electronic presentations.
Chapter 1. Aortic Physiology and Function: Anatomic and Histologic Considerations
Chapter 2. Anatomic Variants of the Aorta
Chapter 3. Examination and Imaging of the Aorta
Chapter 4. Acute Aortic Dissection
Chapter 5. Aortic Intramural Hematoma
Chapter 6. Late Complications of Aortic Dissection
Chapter 7. Aortic Complications of Catheterization, Surgery and Instrumentation
Chapter 8. Aortic Atheromatous Disease: Plaques, Debris and Obstruction
Chapter 9. Aortic Atheromatous Disease: Thrombosis, Thromboembolism and Atheroembolism
Chapter 10. Aortic Atheromatous Disease: Ulcers and Penetrating Aortic Ulcers
Chapter 11. Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms
Chapter 12. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
Chapter 13. Endovascular Aortic Repair
Chapter 14. Diseases of the Aortic Root
Chapter 15. Congenital Bicuspid Aortic Valve-Associated Aortopathy
Chapter 16. Coarctation and Atresia of the Aorta
Chapter 17. Marfan Syndrome
Chapter 18. Traumatic Disruption of the Aorta
Chapter 19. Tumors of the Aorta
Chapter 20. Infectious and Mycotic Aneurysms
Chapter 21. Noninfectious Aortitis: Takayasu’s Disease
Chapter 22. Noninfectious Aortitis: Giant Cell Aortitis, SLE, and Other Aortitides
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2009
- 9th December 2008
- eBook ISBN:
Clinical Professor of Medicine, Departments of Cardiac Sciences, Medicine and Radiology, University of Calgary; Director of Echocardiography, Foothills Medical Centre and Libin Cardiovascular Institute, Calgary, Alberta, Canada