This comprehensive introductory text is perfect for students studying dentistry at any level or scope, featuring coverage of dental anatomy and head and neck anatomy, as well as oral histology and embryology. The easy-to-understand text material is enhanced and supported with abundant, high quality illustrations. This edition combines the text with built-in workbook features that enhance and reinforce learning. Flashcards help students memorize and quickly recall vital facts. No other text of its kind offers a learning package this complete!
- This is one of the only dental anatomy texts that cover all areas of study (dental anatomy, oral histology and embryology, and head and neck anatomy), written at an appropriate level for all students studying the dental sciences.
- Over 550 excellent illustrations support the text, including simple, accurate, effective line drawings that clearly show what the text explains and make difficult subject matter easier for students to comprehend.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide an opportunity for students to evaluate their understanding of the chapter material and review areas of weakness.
- Multiple-choice tests at the end of each unit enable students to check their comprehension of related topics and evaluate areas of weakness.
- A comprehensive glossary of all key terms throughout the chapters is provided at the end of the book so students can easily look up the definition of a key term at any time.
- Objectives listed at the beginning of all chapters outline what students should know after completing the chapter.
- Suggested readings refer the reader to current and classic resources for further study.
Unit 1: Introduction
1. Oral Cavity
Unit II: Dental anatomy
2. The Tooth: Function and Terms
3. Fundamental and Preventive Curvatures
5. Development, Form, and Eruption
7. Dental Anomalies
8. Supporting Structures
9. Clinical Considerations
10. Tooth Identification
11. Root Morphology and Its Relation to Function
16. Deciduous Dentition
Unit III: Oral Histology and Embryology
17. Basic Tissues
18. Development of Orofacial Complex
19. Dental Lamina and Enamel Organ
20. Enamel, Dentin, and Pulp
21. Root Formation and Attachment Apparatus
22. Eruption and shedding of Teeth
23. Oral Mucous Membrane
24. The Tongue
25. Salivary Glands
Unit IV: Head and Neck Anatomy
26. Osteology of the Skull
27. Muscles of Mastication, Hyoid Muscles, and Sternocleidomastoid
28. Temporomandibular Joint
29. Nose, Nasal Cavity, and Paranasal Sinuses
30. Muscles of Facial Expression
31. Soft Palate and Pharynx
32. Arterial Supply and Venous Drainage
33. Salivary Glands
34. Nervous System
35. Lymphatics and Spread of Dental Infection
Answers to Review Questions
Unit Test Answers
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
Emeritus Professor, Washington University School of Medicine, St.Louis, MO