An Introduction to Ethical, Safety and Intellectual Property Rights Issues in Biotechnology provides a comprehensive look at the biggest technologies that have revolutionized biology since the early 20th century, also discussing their impact on society.
The book focuses on issues related to bioethics, biosafety and intellectual property rights, and is written in an easy-to-understand manner for graduate students and early career researchers interested in the opportunities and challenges associated with advances in biotechnology.
Important topics covered include the Human Genome Project, human cloning, rDNA technology, the 3Rs and animal welfare, bioterrorism, human rights and genetic discrimination, good laboratory practices, good manufacturing practices, the protection of biological material and much more.
Full of relevant case studies, practical examples, weblinks and resources for further reading, this book offers an essential and holistic look at the ways in which biotechnology has affected our global society.
- Provides a comprehensive look at the ethical, legal and social implications of biotechnology
- Discusses the global efforts made to resolve issues
- Incorporates numerous case studies to more clearly convey concepts and chart the development of guidelines and legislation regulating issues in biotechnology
- Takes a straightforward approach to highlight and discuss both the benefits and risks associated with the latest biotechnologies
Graduate and postgraduate students, professors and researchers in biotechnology, pharmaceutical science, medicine, biology, pharmacology, bioethics, agriculture, regulatory science and biomedical engineering
1. Genes, Genomes, and Genomics
3. Stem Cell Research
4. Recombinant DNA Technology and Genetically Modified Organisms
5. Relevance of Ethics in Biotechnology
6. Bioterrorism and Dual Use Research of Concern
7. Genetic Discrimination and Human Rights
8. Sharing of Biological Resources
9. Ensuring Safety in Biotechnology
10. Risk Analysis
11. Laboratory Biosafety and Good Laboratory practices
12. Recombinant DNA Safety Considerations in Large Scale Applications and Good Manufacturing Practice
13. Relevance of Intellectual Property Rights in Biotechnology
14. Patenting of Life Forms
15. Patents in Biopharma
16. Protection of Traditional Knowledge and Genetic Resources
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2017
- 25th June 2017
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Padma Nambisan is a Professor and Head of the Department of Biotechnology at Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi, India. She received her Ph.D. and MSc. in Genetics at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) and her BSc. in Botany at Madras University. She is the author of over 20 journal articles and specializes in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, and Botany.
Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Cochin University of Science & Technology, Cochin, Kerala, India