Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Section 1. Alumina as a Ceramic
3. Refining and Synthesis of Alumina
4. Properties and Processing of Alumina Ceramics
Section 2. Alumina in Biomedical Engineering
5. Overview of Alumina in Biomedical Engineering
6. Alumina Bearings in Orthopaedics. Origin and Evolution
7. Alumina Bearings in Orthopaedics. Present and Future
8. Alumina in Bionic Feedthroughs. The Pacemaker
9. Alumina in Bionic Feedthroughs. The Bionic Ear
10. Alumina in Bionic Feedthroughs. The Bionic Eye, and the Future
11. Alumina in Lightweight Body Armor
Section 3. Alumina as an Industrial Ceramic
12. Alumina as an Industrial Wear and Corrosion Resistant Ceramic
13. Alumina as an Electrical Insulator
14. Alumina in Electrical Feedthroughs
15. Alumina: Refractory, and Other Specialised Industrial Uses
16. Alumina: The Future
Alumina Ceramics: Biomedical and Clinical Applications examines the extraordinary material, Alumina, and its use in biomedicine and industry. Sections discuss the fundamentals of Alumina Ceramics, look at the various industrial applications, and examine a variety of medical applications. Readers will find this to be an invaluable and unique resource for researchers, clinical professionals, engineers, and advanced level students. Alumina ceramics are a leading biomaterial used for specialist medical applications, such as bionic implants and tissue engineering, and the only biomaterial commercially viable for use as bearings for orthopedic hip replacements. As such, this book is a timely resource on the topics discussed.
- Provides a unique and thorough review of Alumina ceramics
- Written by one of the world’s leading experts in bioceramics and advanced industrial ceramics, especially alumina
- Targeted to researchers in the materials, clinical and dental fields
- Enables the non-expert with an overview of the underlying alumina technology, major challenges, major successes and future directions
Researchers, clinical professionals, engineers, advanced level students
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2019
- 27th October 2018
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
"This is an extremely comprehensive book regarding alumina ceramics, which covers a wide range of topics, including alumina for both biomedical and industry applications. In particular, the sections regarding alumina’s biomedical applications are broad but in depth. It will be a very useful reference book for researchers working on bioceramics or alumina ceramics in general. It can also be a good textbook for students as it provides substantial history and fundamental knowledge in each topic area."
Mei Wei, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education, School of Engineering, University of Connecticut.
"This is an excellent book which thoroughly covers the use and advancement of alumina ceramics in industry and biomedical application. It succinctly breaks down the history and science behind alumina ceramics and how it has revolutionized key medical technologies. Additionally, it delves into the alumina ceramic market and how it has impacted each industry throughout the book. Personally, there is no other book out there which covers all aspects of alumina ceramics which such detail. This is perfect for anyone who is seeking both the fundamental understanding of alumina ceramics and its industry application and implications."
Marlynne Chen, Final year honours student in biomedical engineering.
Professor Ruys was a founding Director of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Sydney, Australia, since 2003. He graduated with a BE in Ceramic Engineering in 1987 and a PhD in Ceramic Engineering in 1992 from the University of NSW, Australia. He has worked in bioceramics and advanced ceramics research for over 30 years, and has been an active participant as researcher, educator and industrial consultant for this entire time. He is not only an experienced researcher in bioceramics (ceramics for biomedical applications) but has also been an industrial consultant in the world-changing applications of armor ceramics, advanced ceramics in wear-resistance linings in mineral processing, and numerous other important industrial applications of ceramics. He has published more than 100 journal articles, over 70 conference papers, seven books and has listed 5 patents. He serves on three editorial boards and is a reviewer for 24 scientific Journals. He has been teaching bioceramics, biomaterials, and medical device technology for three decades and, has also taught on dental materials, industrial ceramics, chemistry, physics, and general engineering.
University of Sydney, Australia