Unit 1: Foundations for Practice
1. Concepts Basic to Perioperative Nursing
2. Patient Safety and Risk Management NEW!
3. Infection Prevention and Control in the Perioperative Setting
5. Positioning the Patient for Surgery
6. Sutures, Needles, and Instruments
7. Surgical Modalities
8. Wound Healing, Dressings, and Drains
9. Postoperative Patient Care and Pain Management
Unit 2: Surgical Interventions
10. Gastrointestinal Surgery
11. Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, Pancreas, and Spleen
12. Repair of Hernias
13. Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery
14. Genitourinary Surgery
15. Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery
16. Breast Surgery
17. Ophthalmic Surgery
18. Otorhinolarygologic Surgery
19. Orthopedic Surgery
21. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
22. Thoracic Surgery
23. Vascular Surgery
24. Cardiac Surgery
Unit 3: Special Considerations
25. Pediatric Surgery
26. Geriatric Surgery
27. Trauma Surgery
28. Interventional Radiology NEW!
29. Integrated Health Practices: Complementary and Alternative Therapies
30. Workplace Issues and Staff Safety NEW!
For more than 65 years, Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery has been a trusted source for detailed information on perioperative nursing. Well-known author and educator Jane C. Rothrock sets up a solid foundation for practice, and offers step-by-step instructions for over 400 surgical interventions as well as many minimally invasive surgical procedures, all backed by the latest research. More than 1,000 full-color illustrations and photos depict procedures and methods, as well as surgical anatomy and instrumentation. This edition adds Rapid Response Team boxes with suggested interventions, plus coverage of new trends in patient and staff safety, the increase in interventional radiology, and the growth of outpatient ambulatory surgery. Alexander's gives you the tools you need to provide safe, cost-effective, high-quality patient care.
- Cutting-edge information keeps you up to date with the latest technological advances related to surgical procedures, both invasive and non-invasive, including areas such as interventional radiology.
- 1,250 full-color illustrations and photos show surgical anatomy, instrumentation, procedures, and methods.
- Over 400 specialty surgical interventions are included, as well as many minimally invasive surgical procedures.
- A full-color design highlights special features and makes it easier to focus on essential concepts.
- Patient and Family Education boxes include specific guidelines for preprocedural and postprocedural care, side effects and complications, home care, discharge/follow-up care, psychosocial care, and referrals.
- Surgical Pharmacology tables summarize and offer quick reference to the drugs most commonly used for specific surgical procedures, including generic and trade names, purpose/description, and pharmacokinetics.
- Patient Safety boxes highlight recent Joint Commission initiatives and important safety topics.
- Evidence for Practice boxes apply scientific research to perioperative nursing.
- Research Highlight boxes provide the latest research and apply it to patient care.
- History boxes summarize significant historical events related to surgery and perioperative nursing.
- A clear and consistent chapter format makes it easy to find information, including general discussions of surgical anatomy and perioperative nursing considerations followed by more specific discussions of procedural considerations and operative procedure for each surgical intervention.
- Sample plans of care include nursing
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Director, Perioperative Programs, Delaware County Community College, Media, PA