Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Advances In Smart Coatings And Thin Films For Future Industrial and Biomedical Engineering Applications discusses in detail, the recent trends in designing, fabricating and manufacturing of smart coatings and thin films for future high-tech. industrial applications related to transportation, aerospace and biomedical engineering. Chapters cover fundamental aspects and diverse approaches used to fabricate smart self-healing anti-corrosion coatings, shape-memory coatings, polymeric and nano-bio-ceramic cotings, bio-inspired and stimuli-responsive coatings for smart surfaces with antibacterial activkity and controlled wettability, and electrically conductive coatings and their emerging applications. With the emphasis on advanced methodologies and recent emerging applications of smart multifunctional coatings and thin films, this book is essential reading for materials scientists and rsearchers working in chemical sciences, advanced materials, sensors, pharmaceutical and biomedical engineering.
- Discusses the most recent advances and innovations in smart multifunctional coatings and thin films in the transportation, aerospace and biomedical engineering industries
- Highlights the synthesis methods, processing, testing and characterization of smart coatings and thin films
- Reviews the current prospects and future trends within the industry
Materials scientists, researchers, engineers, chemists, managers working in the automotive and aerospace industries; university professors, scientists, and students working in advanced materials and coatings, manufacturers of medical devices in addition to professors, scientists and students in medical fields
Part 1: Introduction
1. Fundamentals of smart coatings and thin films: synthesis, deposition methods and industrial applications
Part 2: Smart Multifunctional Coatings for Corrosion Protection
2. Recent Development in Smart Coatings for Steel Alloys and Their Impact in Steel Industry and Applications
3. Multifunctional and smart organic-inorganic hybrid sol-gel coatings for corrosion protection application
4. Self-healing Corrosion Protective Coatings in Transportation Industries
5. Multi-functional coatings based on smart nano-containers
6. Nano porous aluminum oxide film: Applications and Advances
7. Intelligent anticorrosion saline enabled self-healing coatings
8. Smart Coatings for Magnesium Alloys
9. Smart Coatings on Magnesium Alloys in Transportation Industries
10. Smart hybrid coatings for corrosion protection applications
11. A new generation carbon particles embedded DLC coatings
Part 3: Smart Coatings & Thin Films for Biomedical Applications
12. Shape Memory Coatings and Thin Films for Industrial and Medical Applications
13. Recent Trends In Smart Polymeric Coatings In Biomedicine And Drug Delivering Applications
14. Towards Smart and Durable Nano-ceramic & Nano-bio-ceramic Coatings and their Medical and Industrial Applications
Part 4: Bioinspired and Bio-based Smart Coatings and Thin Films
15. Bioinspired Coatings and Materials
16. Chitosan as anti-corrosion smart coating for aluminum alloys
Part 5: Smart Self-cleaning Coatings with Controlled Wettability
17. Multifunctional layers with nanocontainers of self-healing, self-cleaning and slow release activity
18. Superhydrophobic and Superamphiphobic Smart Surfaces
19. Smart superhydrophobic anticorrosive coatings
Part 6: Smart Antibacterial Coatings & Thin Films
20. Applications and Challenges of Antibacterial Smart Coatings
21. Cationic Polymers Based Antibacterial Smart Coatings
Part 7: Smart Electrically Conductive Coatings & Thin Films
22. Electrically Conducting Polyaniline Smart Coatings and Thin Films for Industrial Applications
23. Nanomaterials for Flexible Transparent Conductive Films and Optoelectronic Devices
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 26th October 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Abdel Salam Hamdy Makhlouf is the Vice President of Integrated Mechanical Material Corrosion Consulting (IM2C), Texas, USA, and a Full professor at Central Metallurgical Research and Development Institute. He has 26 years of experience working in R&D with a blend of both industrial and academic leadership as a Professor of Materials Science, and Advanced “nano-bio” Manufacturing Engineering, and Materials Engineering Consultant. He is the recipient of numerous national and international prizes and awards including the Humboldt Research Award for Experienced Scientists, at Max Planck Institute, Germany; Fulbright, NSF, and Dept. of Energy Fellowships, USA; Shoman Award in Engineering Science; and the State Prize of Egypt in Advanced Science and Technology. His research has focused on five critical areas: Energy, Health, Environment, Advanced manufacturing, Advanced materials. Dr. Makhlouf has published over 200 journal articles, as well as 17 books and handbooks for Springer and Elsevier on a broad range of cross‐disciplinary research fields including advanced multifunctional materials, nanotechnology, smart coatings, corrosion, biomaterials, waste/water treatment, and materials for energy applications. Dr. Makhlouf has served as both a Senior Editor and board member of many international journals, as well as reviewer for several international funding agencies in USA, Germany, UK, Qatar, Belgium, EU, Kazakhstan. He is a Consultant/Reviewer for several universities worldwide.
Vice President & Engineering Consultant, Integrated Mechanical Material Corrosion Consulting (IM2C), Texas, USA, Professor, Central Metallurgical Research and Development Institute, Cairo, Egypt
Dr. Nedal Abu-Thabit holds a Ph.D. in chemistry with specialization in polymer chemistry. Currently, Dr. Nedal is an associate professor in the Chemical & Process Engineering Technology department at Jubail Industrial College. Since 2013, he holds the position of the Program Director for Polymer Engineering Technology major. Dr. Nedal has published more than 20 research articles and reviews in refereed journals, 5 book chapters and 2 patents. His research interests in the areas of polymer synthesis, polymer post-functionalization, synthesis of functional polyelectrolytes for fuel cells applications, water sterilization using nanomaterials, synthesis of electrically conducting polymers for sensing applications, preparation of conductive hydrogels and conductive textiles; and isolation of biopolymers from natural sources. In addition, Dr. Nedal has contributed with many articles in the area of educational polymer chemistry.
Associate Professor and Course Director of the Polymer Division, Department of Chemical and Process Engineering Technology, Jubail Industrial College, Saudi Arabia
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.