The basics you need to succeed! Covering basic anatomy & physiology and medical-surgical nursing for the LPN/LVN, Adult Health Nursing, 8th Edition provides just the right amount of information you need — with a level of detail that is neither overwhelming nor too superficial. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. New to this edition, an updated art program replaces line art to provide a realistic view of procedures and skills. In addition, enhanced holistic health care options, and updated health promotion topics, provide an updated view of current practice. This easy-to-understand text is best when used with Foundations of Nursing, 8th Edition, to give you complete coverage of all the content needed in an LPN/LVN curriculum!
- Tenth grade reading level helps students understand complex topics.
- Skills are presented in a step-by-step format with clearly defined nursing actions and rationales.
- Clear coverage of essential A&P is provided by an Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter along with an overview of A&P in all body systems chapters.
- Nursing Care Plans emphasize patient goals and outcomes within a case-study format, and promotes clinical decision-making with critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Expanded and updated Cultural Considerations boxes explore specific health and cultural issues to help you address the needs of the increasingly diverse patient and resident populations.
- The Nursing Process connects specific disorders to patient care — with a summary at the end of each chapter.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination section at the end of each chapter provides Key Points, Review Questions, and Critical Thinking Activities to reinforce learning.
- Assessment section is separated into Subjective and Objective Data to provide a clear distinction between the two.
- Safety Considerations boxes cover issues related to safe patient care in a variety of settings.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes provide synopses of nursing research articles and other scientific articles applicable to nursing, along with nursing implications for the LPN/LVN.
- Patient Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Communication sections include real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Medication Tables provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes, provide a breakdown of specific therapies, along with precautions and possible side effects.
. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
2. Care of the Surgical Patient
3. Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder
4. Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder
5. Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder
6. Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder
7. Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder
8. Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder
9. Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder
10. Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder
11. Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder
12. Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder
13. Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder
14. Care of the Patient with a Neurological Disorder
15. Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder
16. Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS
17. Care of the Patient with Cancer
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 1st November 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN
Associate Professor of Nursing Ivy Tech Community College Terre Haute, Indiana