This monograph is the last volume in the series 'Acoustic and Elastic Wave Fields in Geophysics'. The previous two volumes published by Elsevier (2000, 2002) dealt mostly with wave propagation in liquid media.
The third volume is dedicated to propagation of plane, spherical and cylindrical elastic waves in different media including isotropic and transversely isotropic solids, liquid-solid models, and media with cylindrical inclusions (boreholes).
- Prevalence of physical reasoning on formal mathematical derivations
- Readers do not need to have a strong background in mathematics and mathematical physics
- Detailed analysis of wave phenomena in various types of elastic and liquid-elastic media
Exploration geophysicists, oil and gas industry
Introduction. List of Symbols.
1. Hooke's law, Poisson's relation, and waves along thin bars.
- Hooke's law and Poisson's relation.
- Longitudinal waves in a thin bar.
- Longitudinal sinusoidal waves in a bar.
- Hooke's law for shear stresses and torsional waves along a bar.
- Torsional waves.
- Bending of a bar at equilibrium and bending waves.2. Basic equations of elastic waves.
- Equations of a motion of an elementary volume.
- Kinetic and potential energy and its flux.
- Strain, stress and Hooke's law in the curvilinear orthogonal system of coordinates.3. Elastic waves in a homogeneous medium.
- Longitudinal spherical waves.
- Spherical shear wave in a homogeneous medium.
- The displacement field s caused by the point force.
- Propagation of waves caused by the point force.
- Longitudinal and shear plane waves.4. Plane waves in a layered medium.
- Strain and stress in plane waves.
- Reflection at the free surface, (normal incidence).
- Reflection and transmission at the plane boundary of two elastic media, (normal incidence).
- Reflection from the free surface (oblique incidence).
- Reflection from the rigid surface (oblique incidence).
- Reflection and transmission at the boundary between fluid and elastic medium.
- Reflection and transmission at the boundary of two elastic media.
- Ray tubes and flux of energy.
- Reflection and transmission of plane waves in a multi-layered elastic medium.5. Surface waves in an elastic medium.
- Rayleigh wave in a homogeneous half-sp
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2005
- 16th May 2005
- Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
"This book by researchers with high international reputations in geophysics and seismology, completes this extraordinary series of three volumes devoted to acoustic and elastic waves in geophysics. It is extraordinary because of its thoroughness and completeness in presenting wave theory." -Peter G, Malischewsky, in NATURAL HAZARDS, 2007