Top 100 Secrets
I. General Topics
1. Are You Ready for Your Surgical Rotation?
2. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
3. How to Treat All Cardiac Dysrhythmias
4. How to Think about Shock
5. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) and Pulmonary Insufficiency
6. Mechanical Ventilation
7. Why Get Arterial Blood Gases?
8. Fluids, Electrolytes, Gatorade, and Sweat
9. Nutritional Assessment, Parenteral, and Enteral Nutrition
10. What Does Postoperative Fever Mean?
11. Surgical Wound Infection
12. Priorities in Evaluation of the Acute Abdomen
13. Surgical Infectious Disease
14. Risks of Blood-Borne Disease
17. Initial Assessment
18. Posttraumatic Hemorrhagic Shock
19. Traumatic Brain Injury
20. Spinal Cord Injuries
21. Penetrating Neck Trauma
22. Blunt Thoracic Trauma
23. Penetrating Thoracic Trauma
24. Blunt Abdominal Trauma
25. Penetrating Abdominal Trauma
26. Hepatic and Biliary Trauma
27. Splenic Trauma
28. Pancreatic and Duodenal Injury
29. Trauma to the Colon and Rectum
30. Pelvic Fractures
31. Upper Urinary Tract Injuries
32. Lower Urinary Tract Injury and Pelvic Trauma
33. Extremity Vascular Injuries
34. Facial Lacerations
35. Maxillofacial Trauma
36. Basic Care of Hand Injuries
38. Pediatric Trauma
III. Abdominal Surgery
40. Gallbladder Disease
41. Pancreatic Cancer
42. Acute Pancreatitis
43. Diagnosis and Therapy of Chronic Pancreatitis
44. Portal Hypertension and Esophageal Varices
45. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
46. Esophageal Cancer
47. Acid-Peptic Ulcer Disease
48. Small Bowel Obstruction
49. Intestinal Ischemia
50. Diverticular Disease of the Colon
51. Acute Large Bowel Obstruction
52. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
53. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding
54. Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding
55. Colorectal Polyps
56. Colorectal Carcinoma
57. Anorectal Disease
58. Inguinal Hernia
59. Bariatric Surgery
IV. Endocrine Surgery
62. Thyroid Nodules and Cancer
63. Surgical Hypertension
64. Adrenal Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy Incidentaloma
V. Breast Surgery
65. Breast Masses
66. Primary Therapy for Breast Cancer
VI. Other Cancers
67. What Is Cancer?
69. Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer
70. Parotid Tumors
71. Neck Masses
VII. Vascular Surgery
72. What Is Atherosclerosis?
73. Arterial Insufficiency
74. Carotid Disease
75. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
76. Venous Disease
77. Noninvasive Vascular Diagnostic Laboratory
VIII. Cardiothoracic Surgery
78. Coronary Artery Disease
79. Mitral Stenosis
80. Mitral Regurgitation
81. Aortic Valvular Disease
82. Thoracic Surgery for Non-Neoplastic Disease
83. Lung Cancer
84. Solitary Pulmonary Nodule
85. Dissecting Aortic Aneurysm
IX. Pediatric Surgery
86. Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis
87. Intestinal Obstruction of Neonates and Infants
88. Tracheoesophageal Malformations
89. Tracheoesophageal Malformations
90. Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
91. Abdominal Tumors
92. Congenital Cysts and Sinuses of the Neck
93. Liver Transplantation
94. Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation
95. Heart Transplantation
96. Mechanical Circulatory Support
97. Lung Transplantation
98. Penile and Scrotal Urologic Emergencies
100. Renal Cell Carcinoma
101. Bladder Cancer
102. Prostate Cancer
103. Urodynamics and Voiding Dysfunction
104. Pediatric Urology
XII. Health Care
105. Can Health Care Be Reformed?
106. Ethics in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit
108. Required Reading
For more than 30 years, the highly regarded Secrets Series® has provided students and practitioners in all areas of health care with concise, focused, and engaging resources for quick reference and exam review. Abernathy’s Surgical Secrets, 7th Edition, features the Secrets’ popular question-and-answer format that also includes lists, tables, and an easy-to-read style – making reference and review quick, easy, and enjoyable.
- The proven Secrets® format gives you the most return for your time – concise, easy to read, engaging, and highly effective.
- Covers the full range of essential topics in general surgery for in-training or practicing professionals.
- Written by global experts and thought leaders in surgery.
- Top 100 Secrets and Key Points boxes provide a fast overview of the secrets you must know for success in practice and on exams.
- Portable size makes it easy to carry with you for quick reference or review anywhere, anytime.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2018
- 14th September 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, San Francosco, CA; Chairman, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco-East Bay, Oakland, CA
Professor and Vice-Chairman, Department of Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Chief of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.