Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
5G NR: The Next Generation Wireless Access Technology, Second Edition, follows the authors' highly celebrated books on 3G and 4G and provides a new level of insight into 5G NR. After background discussion of 5G, including requirements, spectrum aspects, and the standardization timeline, all technology features of the first phase of NR are described in detail. The book covers the NR physical-layer structure and higher-layer protocols, RF and spectrum aspects, and co-existence and interworking with LTE. The book provides a good foundation in NR and different NR technology components, giving insight into why a certain solution has been selected.
This second edition is updated to reflect the latest developments in Release 16 and includes brand new chapters on: NR in unlicensed spectrum; NR-U in Rel-16; IAB; V2X and sidelink in Rel-16; industrial IoT; IIoT and referring to the URLLC enhancements for PDCCH; RIM/CL; and positioning. Also included are the key radio-related requirements of NR; design principles; technical features of basic NR transmission structure—showing where it was inherited from LTE, where it deviates from it, and the reasons why— NR multi-antenna transmission functionality; detailed description of the signals and functionality of the initial NR access, including signals for synchronization and system information; random access and paging; LTE/NR co-existence in the same spectrum and the benefits of their interworking as one system; and different aspects of mobility in NR. RF requirements for NR are described for BS and UE, the legacy bands, and for the new mm-wave bands.
- Gives a concise and accessible explanation of the underlying technology and standards for 5G NR radio-access technology
- Provides detailed description of the NR physical-layer structure and higher-layer protocols, RF and spectrum aspects, and co-existence and interworking with LTE
- Gives insight not only into the details of the NR specification, but also an understanding of why certain solutions look like they do
- Includes the key radio-related requirements of NR, design principles, and technical features of basic NR transmission structure
R&D engineers working in cellular communication systems, radio air-interface technologies, cellular telecommunication protocols, advanced radio access technologies for 4G/5G systems, or broadband cellular standards.
Postgraduate students and university researchers in mobile and wireless communications
1. What Is 5G?
2. 5G Standardization
3. Spectrum for 5G
4. LTE - an overview
5. NR Overview
6. Radio-Interface Architecture
7. Overall Transmission Structure
8. Channel Sounding
9. Transport-Channel Processing
10. Physical-Layer Control Signaling
11. Multi-Antenna Transmission
12. Beam Management
13. Retransmission Protocols
15. Uplink Power and Timing Control
16. Cell search and system information
17. Random access
18. LTE/NR Interworking and Coexistence
19. NR in unlicensed spectrum
20. Industrial IoT and URLLC enhancements
21. Interference handling in TDD networks
22. Integrated Access Backhaul
23. Sidelink communication
25. RF Characteristics
26. RF Technologies at mm-Wave Frequencies
27. 5G - Further evolution
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st October 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Erik Dahlman works at Ericsson Research and are deeply involved in 4G and 5G development and standardization since the early days of 3G research.
Stefan Parkvall works at Ericsson Research and are deeply involved in 4G and 5G development and standardization since the early days of 3G research.
Johan Skold works at Ericsson Research and are deeply involved in 4G and 5G development and standardization since the early days of 3G research.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.