- Exclusive focus on ICD-9-CM: Volumes 1 & 2 provides clear, concise coverage of physician-based and hospital outpatient coding essentials.
- Netter’s Anatomy art is included in the front of the book and cross referenced within the Tabular List to help you understand complex anatomic information and how it may affect choosing codes.
- Full-color design includes consistent color-coded symbols and text, providing easier access to codes and coding information.
- More than 130 full-color illustrations provide visual orientation and enhance understand of specific coding situations.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCRs) are listed in full and also integrated within the code set, providing fast, easy access to the official coding rules.
- Symbols and highlights identify codes that may require special consideration before coding, including:
- Not First-Listed Diagnosis
- Use Additional Digit(s)
- Includes and Excludes
- Use Additional Code First
- Color-coded Table of Drugs simplifies code selection.
- Use Additional Digit(s) symbol identifies codes in the index that require an additional digit and serves as a reminder to check the Tabular List.
- Additional elements within specific codes provide you with useful hints, tips, and definitions to aid in understanding difficult terminology, diseases and conditions, or coding in a specific category.
- Codingupdates.com companion website includes the latest changes to the ICD coding system.
- Items are included throughout Diseases: Tabular List, Volume 1 to provide information on common diseases and conditions to ensure th
Symbols and Conventions
Part I: Introduction
Coordination and Maintenance Committee
Characteristics of the ICD-9-CM
ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Part II: Alphabetic Index, Volume 2
Section 1: Index to Diseases
Section 2: Table of Drugs and Chemicals
Section 3: Index to External Causes of Injury
Part III: Diseases: Tabular List, Volume 1
1. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
3. Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases, and Immunity Disorders
4. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs
5. Mental Disorders
6. Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs
7. Diseases of the Circulatory System
8. Diseases of the Respiratory System
9. Diseases of the Digestive System
10. Diseases of the Genitourinary System
11. Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium
12. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue
13. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue
14. Congenital Anomalies
15. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period
16. Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defined Conditions
17. Injury and Poisoning
V-Codes: Supplementary Classification of Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services
E-Codes: Supplementary Classification of External Causes of Injury and Poisoning
Appendix A: Morphology of Neoplasms
Appendix B: Glossary of Mental Disorders
Appendix C: Classification of Drugs by American Hospital Formulary Services List Number and Their ICD-9-CM Equivalents
Appendix D: Classification of Industrial Accidents According to Agency
Appendix E: List of Three-Dig