Elsevier and the American Medical Association have partnered to co-publish this ICD-9-CM reference by Carol J. Buck! Maximize your efficiency and effectiveness with Carol J. Buck’s 2013 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals, Volumes 1, 2, & 3 — Professional Edition. Combining Netter’s Anatomy artwork and the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR) with a format designed by coders for coders, this handy, spiral-bound reference gives you easy access to the information you need to stay up to date and ensure the most accurate billing and optimal reimbursement in both physician-based and inpatient coding. Plus, you can take this resource into certification exams for enhanced testing support!
- Coverage of all three ICD-9-CM volumes includes both inpatient and outpatient codes.
- UNIQUE! Full-color Netter’s Anatomy artwork clarifies complex anatomic information to help you appropriately code related procedures.
- Use Additional Digit(s) symbol in the index identifies codes that require an additional digit to remind you to check the tabular.
- The Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR) are listed within the lists of codes and in a separate index for fast, easy access to the coding rules when you need them.
- Items provide detailed information on common diseases and conditions, helping you code more effectively.
- Symbols throughout the text alert you to new, revised, and deleted codes and clearly identify codes that require special consideration before assigning symbols, including Unacceptable Principal Diagnosis, Use Additional, Includes and Excludes, Non OR Procedure, Code First, Present on Admission, Hospital Acquired Condition, and CC and MCC.
- Additional hints, tips and definitions within specific codes provide extra guidance in coding anatomy, pathophysiology, or other coding directions.
- References to the American Hospital Association’s Coding Clinics® help you find expanded information about specific codes and their usage.
- Age and Sex edits alert you to codes that are used only with patients of a specific age or sex, helping to ensure accurate reporting.
- Omit and Code Also codes highlight government text needing special attention.
- Coding updates on the companion codingupdates.com website keep you informed of changes to ICD codes.
Guide to Using the 2013 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals, Volumes 1, 2, & 3, Standard Edition
Symbols and Conventions
Part I: Introduction
Coordination and Maintenance Committee
Characteristics of the ICD-9-CM
ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
Part II: Alphabetic Index, Volume 2
Section 1. Index to Diseases
Section 2. Table of Drugs and Chemicals
Section 3. Index to External Causes of Injury
Part III: Diseases: Tabular List, Volume 1
1. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
3. Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases and Immunity Disorders
4. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-forming Organs
5. Mental Disorders
6. Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs
7. Diseases of the Circulatory System
8. Diseases of the Respiratory System
9. Diseases of the Digestive System
10. Diseases of the Genitourinary System
11. Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium
12. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue
13. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue
14. Congenital Anomalies
15. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period
16. Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-defined Conditions
17. Injury and Poisoning
V-Codes-Supplementary Classification of Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services
E-Codes-Supplementary Classification of External Causes of Injury and Poisoning
A. Morphology of Neoplasms
B. Glossary of Mental Disorders
C. Classification of Drugs by American Hospital Formulary Services List Number and Their ICD-9-CM Equivalents
D. Classification of Industrial Accidents According to Agency
E. List of Three-Digit Categories
Part IV: Procedures, Volume 3
Index to Procedures
Classification of Procedures
0. Procedures and Interventions, Not Elsewhere Classified
1. Operations on the Nervous System
2. Operations on the Endocrine System
3. Operations on the Eye
4. Operations on the Ear
5. Operations on the Nose, Mouth, and Pharynx
6. Operations on the Respiratory System
7. Operations on the Cardiovascular System
8. Operations on the Hemic and Lymphatic System
9. Operations on the Digestive System
10. Operations on the Urinary System
11. Operations on the Male Genital Organs
12. Operations on the Female Genital Organs
13. Obstetrical Procedures
14. Operations on the Musculoskeletal System
15. Operations on the Integumentary System
16. Miscellaneous Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures
Part V: 2013 Inpatient Procedures
Part VI: 2013 MS-DRGs
Part VI contains 2013 MS-DRGs Appendix A, B, D, and the Procedure Code Tables from Appendix E and are posted on the companion website codingupdates.com
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 27th August 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN