A concise, easy-to-understand introduction to the fundamentals, Pathophysiology for the Health Professions, 4th Edition helps you learn to identify disease processes and disorders. Authors Barbara Gould and Ruthanna Dyer continue the tradition of a text known for its readability and vivid, full-color illustrations, updated with the latest research and clinical advances. Unique Challenge, Think About, and Emergency Treatment features help in applying the material to real-life situations. No matter which area in the healthcare field you may enter, this book provides essential preparation for conditions encountered in clinical practice.
- Concise and readable approach includes the information students need without overwhelming them, even if they have a limited scientific background.
- Unique Challenge feature asks "What can go wrong with this structure or system?" as a way to help students facilitate progress by using previously learned knowledge.
- Unique Think About boxes help with self-evaluation, test preparation, and review.
- Unique Emergency Treatment boxes list basic emergency measures; these can be modified to fit specific professions, established protocols, or practice settings.
- Research boxes discuss new developments, problem areas of pathophysiology, and complications associated with research.
- Warning Signs boxes summarize conditions that may develop in patients.
- Diagnostic tests and treatments are included for each of the major disorders.
- Case studies in each chapter provide a basis for discussion or can be used as an assignment.
- Study questions offer a self-assessment on the material in each chapter.
- Ready References in the appendix provide a quick lookup for anatomic terms, conversion tables, abbreviations and acronyms, diagnostic studies and tests, and more.
- A companion Evolve website includes web links, learning activities, content updates, and more.
Section I: Basic Concepts of Disease Processes
1. Introduction to Pathophysiology
2. Inflammation and Healing
3. Immunity and Abnormal Responses
6. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
Section II: The Effects of Altered Status/Growth and Development on Disease Processes
7. Congenital and Genetic Disorders
8. Diseases Associated with Adolescence
9. Potential Complications of Pregnancy
10. Aging and Disease Processes
11. Effects of Immobility
12. The Influence of Stress
14. Substance Abuse
15. Environmental Hazards
16. Introduction to Basic Pharmacology and Selected Therapies
Section III: Pathophysiology of the Systems
17. Blood and Lymphatic Disorders
18. Cardiovascular Disorders
19. Respiratory Disorders
20. Digestive System Disorders
21. Urinary System Disorders
22. Acute Neurologic Disorders
23. Chronic Neurologic Disorders
24. Disorders of the Eye and Ear
25. Endocrine Disorders
26. Musculoskeletal Disorders
27. Skin Disorders
28. Reproductive System Disorders
Ready Reference 1 Body Planes, Cavities, and Compartments
Ready Reference 2 Anatomic Terms
Ready Reference 3 Conversion Tables
Ready Reference 4 Common Abbreviations and Acronyms
Ready Reference 5 Common Diagnostic Studies and Tests
Ready Reference 6 Example of a Medical History
Ready Reference 7 Disease Index
Ready Reference 8 Drug Index
Ready Reference 9 Additional Resources
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 21st April 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emerita, School of Health Sciences, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada