Data in Brief co-submission
A growing number of Elsevier journals in all research areas offer authors the possibility to co-submit one or more data articles alongside their research article. Data articles published in Data in Brief ensure that the data and the metadata to understand it, which is normally buried in supplementary material, is actively reviewed, curated, formatted, indexed, given a DOI and publicly available to all upon publication. If the main research article is accepted, the co-submitted data article will also be published in the open access journal Data in Brief.
The Data in Brief co-submission workflow
- Interested authors download and complete a Data in Brief template (click here to preview). The template is also available to download from the Guide for Authors and from the editorial submission site of participating Elsevier journals (below).
- Authors upload the data article as a single document or zip file alongside the other submission files of the research article in the participating journals (manuscript file, cover letter, figures etc). Select the item type: Data in Brief in the drop-down menu.
- Authors can submit their completed data article at original submission or revised submission stage.
- If the research article is accepted, the data article files are sent directly to the Data in Brief journal for editorial review and/or external peer review; any necessary revisions are requested of the authors.
- When the data article is published in Data in Brief, it is linked to the research article in the participating journal on ScienceDirect.
Participating Elsevier Journals
Currently close to 300 Elsevier journals offer authors the opportunity to directly submit a data article to Data in Brief alongside their research article. For more information see the Guide for Authors of the participating journal from the drop-down list below.