Publish, share and discover data in peer-reviewed, brief articles
Data articles are brief, peer-reviewed publications about research data. Sharing data makes it accessible and enables others to gain new insights and make interpretations for their own research. Thanks to a detailed dataset description, the data published in data articles can be reused, reanalyzed and reproduced by others.
Data articles at a glance:
- Data articles are peer-reviewed, curated and formatted
- Data articles will be indexed and made freely available immediately and permanantly upon publication
- Your data article contributes to proper data citation and attribution
- By thoroughly describing data you facilitate reproducibility
- Open doors for new collaborations
- Prepare and submit easily, using a template
Data articles are published in the interdisciplinary, open access journal Data in Brief.
Not all the data collected during the research cycle makes it into a final publication; data articles complement full research papers, providing an easy channel for researchers to publish their datasets and receive proper credit and recognition for the work they have done. This is particularly true for replication data, negative datasets or data from intermediate experiments, which often go unpublished. Data in Brief is an open access journal that publishes data articles in all research areas.
Data articles are part of Research Elements: articles that support the publication of research output, including data, software, materials and methods – in brief, citable articles complementary to final research articles.
Why publish data articles?
Sharing data helps reproduce results, increases transparency and can enable other researchers to build on previous work. Data articles provide a peer-reviewed, quick and easy way to share and get cited for the work that goes into collecting data, in addition to making data available.
- Ease and speed of submission: A template is available with standardized formatting for data articles. This provides authors with a quick and easy way to write up their data article in addition to their research article. Data articles can be submitted directly or, for a number of Elsevier journals, the data article submission process is seamlessly integrated into the submission workflow. This makes it easy to submit simultaneously to the journal of your choice and the interdisciplinary data journal Data in Brief.
- Quick and transparent peer review: The article template makes it easy for reviewers – data experts in the relevant field – to review the submission efficiently and ensure that all necessary information is provided. The template also shows authors exactly what reviewers are looking for in their data article, speeding up the review process.
- Discovering Data: Each data article links to the relevant data in a repository. This makes it easier for other researchers by having an overview of all the relevant information in one place. And since data articles have a DOI, citations link the data to all subsequent research that applies it, making it even easier to reuse and reproduce results.
About Data in Brief
Data in Brief provides a way for researchers to easily share and reuse each other's datasets by publishing data articles that describe data, facilitating reproducibility. This increases traffic towards associated research articles and data, leading to more citations. Data in Brief is open access and covers data from all research disciplines. A growing number of Elsevier journals in all research areas offer authors the possibility to co-submit one or more data articles alongside their research article.