Visualizing Geospatial Data
Geospatial data will be visualized on Google Maps. They will be displayed below the Abstract section. The maps will only appear in the HTML version of your article - not in the PDF. Follow the instructions below to find out how to prepare, preview and submit your file.
File must be in the KML or KMZ format. You can create these files on your own Geographic Information System (GIS) or use Elsevier’s author tool.
In our author tool, you can create a very basic KML file by specifying coordinates and selecting markers and providing the text and or image the user will see on mouse hover.
Using your own GIS, you can include more advanced features, keeping in mind the following limitations:
- The maximum file size is 3 Mb.
- The maximum number of network links is 10.
- The maximum of elements is 1000.
- Elements cannot be time-animated.
- 3D models are not possible.
- Use mouseover annotations instead of a legend.
- As we use GoogleMaps, we support these KML elements.
If you create your file using the author tool, the tool will immediately display how your file will look on ScienceDirect.
GIS users must before submission upload their map into the preview tool to verify how it will display online. This is necessary to avoid surprises: not all KML/KMZ files are suitable for display on ScienceDirect
In your manuscript, you can indicate where you want the material to appear in the article, for example, by writing ‘File1 here’. After you’ve tested your file, please do not forget to upload it into the online submission system together with your article. Please select the option “Interactive Map Data (KML or KMZ)” as the submission type.
Reviewers will find your KML/KMZ files in the supplementary material submitted with the manuscript. They can inspect how they will display online by uploading them into the author tool.
- EES: the files can be downloaded via links on the final pages of the reviewer PDF
- EVISE: the files can be downloaded directly from the system
For more information, read the general reviewer instructions for Enrichments.