UK Open Science Partnership
The aim of the Open Science Partnership is for Jisc, Elsevier and the UK research sector to work together to enable the design and development of new methods to support Open Science in the UK.
What is the partnership?
An agreement between Elsevier and Jisc Collections to cooperate on several open science opportunities, utilizing Elsevier’s technology and analytics capabilities to help make science in the UK more collaborative, transparent, effective and efficient. An Open Science Steering Group was formed to ensure that these needs are met and to develop opportunities and priorities with input from the wider research community.
The Open Science Steering Group
The Open Science Steering Group aims to ensure that the voice of the higher education sector is reflected in the open science priorities and successes Elsevier and Jisc jointly pursue.
The group aims to:
- Steer the partnership between the UK university sector and Elsevier in order to make the UK a thought leader in open science
- Provide the voice of the UK university sector to help define open science priorities for Elsevier over 5 years and beyond
- Support, align and celebrate the open science initiatives in the UK university sector
Conditions under how the group will operate:
- Consensual - jointly agree in spirit of partnership
- Provide honest feedback and advice for Elsevier
- For particular activities small working groups may be established to drive forward activity
Outputs for the group:
- Provide regular steering, which will include 2 meetings annually plus regular email communication
- Identify and connect relevant individuals within the UK university sector with Elsevier
- Publish annual review of progress, successes and learning towards open Science in the UK
Steering Group members
Prof. Mark Smith (Chair), Vice-Chancellor, Lancaster University
Paul Feldman, Chief Executive, Jisc
Dr. Nick Fowler, Managing Director (Research Networks), Elsevier
Prof. Dame Jessica Corner, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research & Knowledge Exchange), University of Nottingham
Heidi Fraser-Krauss, Director of Information Services, University of York
Prof. Claire Warwick, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research), Durham University
Prof. Nick Wright, Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Newcastle University
Dr. Lesley Thompson, Vice-President, Academic & Govt Strategic Alliance, Elsevier
Neil Jacobs, Head of Open Science & Research Lifecycle, Jisc
Steph Bales, Chair, ARMA, and Director of Research & Innovation Services, Teesside University
Updates about the partnership will appear here.