Reviewers mentorship program
As publishers in Elsevier we want to:
- help and support increasing the pool of qualified reviewers
- help both the existing reviewers (relieve workload) and the editors (who face the challenge of recruiting reviewers)
- support young scientists who are eager to build a network and become actively involved as reviewers
This program aims to extend the help given to reviewers during workshops by also giving some coaching and direct feedback on the reports that the trainees have submitted.
The Reviewer Mentoring Programme consists of two parts:
- Part one - organisation of the workshop itself at an institute or university. The journal publisher works together with an editor who is affiliated to the institute or university.
- Part two - setting up of a support EES site (our online submission, peer-review and editorial system) which is populated with original manuscripts selected by the editor.
Before the workshop, trainees must:
- review an original manuscript
- complete the journal’s reviewer checklist
- submit their report to the workshop tutors (the publisher and the editor)
It is important that the trainees review a manuscript that is both controversial and in their area of expertise. During the workshop an introduction on reviewing is given, followed by a discussion of the review and the original ‘fate’ of the paper (reviews and the final article, if accepted for publication) is disclosed.
After the workshop:
Trainees are invited through the system to review at least two manuscripts within a given timeframe. Each trainee is supported by a mentor who discusses the reviews with the trainee and gives feedback and guidance. The mentor finally decides when a trainee has gained enough experience to review live manuscripts.
After the programme, each trainee receives a certificate of participation from Elsevier.
As a reviewer you should familiarize yourself with the Guide for Authors of the journal.
- Reviewer Guidelines give a brief overview of what is expected of you as a Reviewer.
- The Reviewer Information Pack provides practical information for Elsevier Reviewers.
- The Elsevier Reviewers Resource Center provides information and FAQ about the peer review process.
- Reviewer tutorial on EES - Elsevier's online submission platform which our journals use for managing the peer review process.
- In our language editing pages, you will find many of the resources we have in place to help you, and us, prepare your manuscript for publication.