Gerhard Ertl Young Investigator AwardFor excellent research in Surface Science
Young surface science researchers (less than 6 years since their PhD), with no restrictions to nationality or home institution, are invited to apply for the "Gerhard Ertl Young Investigator Award".
The purpose of the Gerhard Ertl Young Investigator Award is to recognize one individual for his or her outstanding research in surface science.
The journal Surface Science is the official sponsor of the award, through Elsevier. The prize consists of a certificate and EUR 5,000. The prize is awarded every year by the DPG Surface Science Division at the DPG Spring Conference.
Application Procedure and Selection Process:
1) The applicant's PhD certificate must not date back longer than 6 years from the first day of the conference.
2) Young investigators who wish to compete for the "Gerhard Ertl Young Investigator Award" must submit an extended CV (including list of publications, talks, awards, professional experience) and an abstract for a talk (DPG abstract format) plus a two page description of the work to the vice-chairperson of the DPG Surface Science Division (by email to Martin Wolf, firstname.lastname@example.org, as pdf attachment). The email must be received no later than than November 15, 2012, i.e. 2 weeks before the DPG abstract submission deadline. The abstract must also be submitted as a regular contribution to the DPG Spring Meeting of the Surface Science Division following the standard procedure.
3) The candidate must also arrange for two confidential support letters to be sent directly to the vice-chairperson of the DPG Surface Science Division. These letters (sent by email) must be received by no later than November 15.
4) The prize committee will select the top candidates (not more than five) and these will be asked to give 30-minute (25 min. talk and 5 min. discussion) oral presentations at the DPG Spring Meeting of the Surface Science Division.
5) The prize committee will select the winner and she/he will receive a certificate plus the cash prize.