Managing your Account
The Admin Tool helps you manage and customize your ScienceDirect subscription. Access to the Admin Tool is given during account setup. If you need to request access to the Admin Tool, or if you need to identify the ScienceDirect administrator(s) for your institution or organization, please contact Elsevier customer service.
You can use the Admin Tool to:
- Add your library or organization logo and message to ScienceDirect
- Assign additional administrators
- Manage your IP ranges
- See all content your account has access to (Electronic Holding Reports)
- See your most recent usage statistics
- Create groups and manage user IDs
- Enable remote access for users
- Configure Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services
- Enable users to make credit card purchases of non-subscribed content
- Configure your ScienceDirect link settings
- Configure federated single sign-on access via Shibboleth*
Elsevier offers administrators monthly or annual COUNTER Code of Practice 4 compliant usage reports through our Usage Reports site. Usage data is continuously tracked and stored, and administrators receive an email each month when new data is available.
Several types of usage reports are available, including:
- Download behavior: This set of reports includes information on overall account usage, and indicates the articles and journals which have been downloaded, and the number of times they are downloaded.
- Search behavior: This set of reports tracks the number of searches within your account, the average time spent on ScienceDirect, and other user behaviors.
In addition to providing COUNTER COP 4 usage reports, Elsevier is also a SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) compliant content provider. To activate SUSHI services and reports from Elsevier, please complete the following appropriate application below.
- New user application for SUSHI
- SUSHI service provider application form
- Guide for using SUSHI services and reports from Elsevier
- Guide to COUNTER reports available from Elsevier
If you need to identify the ScienceDirect administrator(s) for your institution or organization, please contact Elsevier customer service.
On myElsevier.com you can manage your Elsevier account. Use it to order ScienceDirect Books, Journals, ArticleChoice, and Collections and to explore the Elsevier portfolio. You can also check order history and current holdings, or update address, IP range, or third-party billing. And you can view your Account Manager details, including working hours and contact information.
Find helpful videos at: http://www.youtube.com/myElsevier
Please Register for myElsevier.com to get started.
If your account has already been created, this is where you can Activate your myElsevier.com account
The Using ScienceDirect page offers helpful tips and materials for ScienceDirect users.
You can also encourage your users to register on ScienceDirect for free. They can save searches, create alerts, define favorites, get updates, purchase articles and more.
The Promoting ScienceDirect Toolkit (opens as a zip file) contains resources that you can download and use, including:
- Email to library users template: Customize this HTML template with your library information and then spread the word about ScienceDirect to your user community
- Poster: Print on A3 or 11x17 paper and post in high-traffic areas
- Tabletop tent card: Print on A4 or letter-sized 110# card stock (or equivalent), fold and display at workstations, on tables and in cubicles throughout the library or wherever your users are
- Web buttons: Use these simple ScienceDirect icons on your library website, with or without an embedded hyperlink. Option 1 works best on a light background and Option 2 is designed for a dark background.
The following one line ScienceDirect product description can be used in catalog descriptions and on websites. Simply cut and paste the following text where you need it.
- ScienceDirect is a leading database of peer-reviewed science, technology and health information trusted by researchers, teachers and students around the globe.
Agreement and Rights
Sample License Agreement
Please click to view a sample agreement for Academic and Government or Corporate. Be aware that the details in the sample shown are fictitious and for illustrative purposes only. Contact Elsevier Sales for specific details of your ScienceDirect agreement.
No Double Dipping Policy
No Double Dipping Policy
ScienceDirect has a strict policy not to charge subscribers for open access content. Please find more detail about our No Double Dipping Policy.
Collection and title changes
During the year Elsevier's title portfolio is subject to changes (such as name changes, transfers, discontinuations, add-ons to collections, new title launches).
The Journal Title Lists are updated regularly to reflect these changes.
Once a year the composition of journal collections and editions is adapted to these changes. Usually the new title lists for the next year are available via the Journal Title Lists in July of the year before.
The Book Title Lists reflect any changes in the books portfolio, such as new titles released in the frontlist or the composition of books collections and editions.
Personal Title Communication Service
You can contact your account manager or your e-Sales Support Coordinator if you would like to receive a Personal Title Communication that informs you of any changes in your specific journal holdings according to your current subscription agreements. With the Personal Title Communication you will be informed each quarter about journal title and backfile changes, and once per year about updated journal collection or edition title lists.