Books on ScienceDirect Overview
Whether needing to get a broad overview, prepare lecture notes or inform research, you and your patrons can rely on Books on ScienceDirect for easy, instant and DRM-free access.
Offering award-winning content and comprehensive coverage of the full range of scientific disciplines, including those published under the renowned imprints Academic Press, Woodhead Publishing and Gulf Professional Publishing, ScienceDirect includes over 30,000 books, 59,000 Major Reference Works chapters, 8,100 time-stamped Reference Modules articles and 200,500 Book Series and Handbook Series chapters.
Provide your institution with quality authorship, convenience and value with textbooks on ScienceDirect
Raise the bar on academic results at your institution with easy access to textbooks across six disciplines. With textbooks on ScienceDirect, students and faculty can access the required and recommended readings they need for their courses. Because there is no limit on the number of users who can access a title, the material will always be there when needed. Textbooks are seamlessly integrated within the ScienceDirect platform, making titles easy to find. Readers will also see related materials such as journal articles, major reference works, eBooks and more. ScienceDirect Textbooks provide:
- Full-text version online or to download and print with no digital rights management (DRM) restrictions
- Multi-user concurrent access at any time and from any internet location with remote access to ScienceDirect
- Content that's readable on desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones
- Integrated book and journal content for convenient access to related materials
- Purchased materials that are available for use by anyone at the institution regardless of class registration
- Free MARC records to support discoverability and usage
Foundational knowledge for learning and research
Textbooks provide the foundation for understanding a subject, making them ideal tools for teaching and learning. They also support researchers who are increasingly being asked to understand adjacent disciplines to advance their work. By using textbooks, researchers can learn about subjects outside of their primary areas of expertise.
Textbooks are easy for your students to access online anywhere, anytime. View our list of available titles in six different subject areas to see if there are good candidates for you to offer to your students and faculty.
Textbooks are available for:
View our up-to-date textbook title lists.
Ask your Elsevier sales representative how you can add Textbooks on ScienceDirect to your library — flexible purchase models allow you to choose one or all!
What students, teachers and researchers say about textbooks* on ScienceDirect…
"Makes it easier for the students to find the bibliographic sources I recommend."
— Maribel Castilla, Lecturer, Universidad San Pablo CEU
"Improves the quality of information for literature review; provides credible basis on which to build research."
— Dale Rankine, graduate student, University of the West Indies
"Provides further information on other sources of research materials, providing me a broad overview."
— Graduate student, University of Ibadan
"Detailed information that I can use to prepare my lecture notes with more reliable data."
— Dr. Melike Bor, Associate Professor
*Source: 2012 Elsevier global market research study.
Books Series and Handbooks
Online access to Book Series helps make finding vital research possible. Conduct integrated searches and link quickly and easily to full-text articles, Major Reference Works, and other publishers' content (via CrossRef). Over 5,000 volumes are accessible from ScienceDirect's easy-to-use interface.
Fun facts about Elsevier Book Series:
- Since 1955, Methods in Enzymology has produced 526 volumes with more than 40,000 chapters.
- The first volume of Advances in Cancer Research was published the year that Watson and Crick reported on the DNA double helix.
- The Enzymes series was started in 1970 by Nobel Prize winner Paul D. Boyer.
- First published in 1943, Vitamins and Hormones is the longest-running serial published by Academic Press.
- Advances in Marine Biology was founded by famed marine biologist Sir Frederick S. Russell.
- First published in 1943, Advances in Carbohydrate Chemistry &Biochemistry is the longest running chemistry series.
Available Book Series packages:
- Agricultural and Biological Sciences
- Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Immunology and Microbiology
- Life Sciences - New (2009 to current year)
- Life Sciences - Legacy (2000–2008 subscribers)
- Methods in Enzymology Backfiles (from 1955)
- Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Science
- Physics and Astronomy
- All Subjects
Find a list of up-to-date Series title information.
Elsevier's Handbooks are available in various subject collections. With content solicited from the world's leading authorities, these highly-cited volumes offer an invaluable resource for researchers. Handbook titles are available from volume one up to the most current volume, spanning many years and many important developments in scholarly research.
Handbooks in summary:
- Include chapters that serve as self-contained surveys, often defining a field
- Authored by the most highly regarded experts in their fields
- Provide important entry points to the key literature
- Are updated regularly with new volumes
- Are fully searchable and linkable
Find a list of up-to-date Handbook titles.
Reference Modules (RefMods) on ScienceDirect combine thousands of related Elsevier reference work articles into one evolutionary source of information. Articles in each RefMod title are continuously reviewed by a renowned Editorial Board, and changes are time-stamped as of the last review or update.
- When Reference Modules were originally launched, the list of MRWs eligible for perpetual conversion for each module was limited. We have expanded the coverage for perpetual conversion to include all MRWs that contribute articles to the module.
- Customers now have full flexibility to make their selections from the following list: insert spreadsheet here
- No change is necessary to license agreements, all customers are eligible to select MRWs from the expanded list of titles.
Reference Modules are
- Authoritative – Find author names and a list of underlying reference works where applicable
- Current – A time stamp shows the date of last review or update made by dedicated subject experts
- Discoverable – an intuitive subject hierarchy provides the context needed to find essential information on searched topics
Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences
Editor-in-Chief:Scott A. Elias, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
Contains over 3,800 articles including articles from 17 Elsevier major reference works and new and updated articles specially written for the module:
- 900 new articles from four 2013 Elsevier Major Reference Works
- 9,000 images
- 4,000 contributors
Reference Module in Chemistry, Molecular Sciences and Chemical Engineering
Editor-in-Chief:Jan Reedijk, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Contains over 4,300 articles including articles from 22 Elsevier Major Reference Works and new and updated articles specially written for the module:
- 250 new articles from one 2013 Elsevier reference work
- 50,000 images
- 4,100 contributors
Reference Modules are frequently updated with new and amended articles to ensure they remain both comprehensive and up-to-date. Please download our proof of promise report to see this month's changes.
Note for Purchasers: To add Reference Modules or RefMods to your ScienceDirect subscription, contact Elsevier Sales
Major Reference Works
Major Reference Works
Elsevier's reference titles on ScienceDirect are an authoritative source for building foundational knowledge in one's area of expertise and gaining interdisciplinary, comparative perspective in related or new areas. Content delivery via ScienceDirect provides contextual links to related books, journals and citation tools that facilitate the research process. Over 130 Major Reference Works are available.
Elsevier's Major Reference Works feature individual titles covering key scientific subject areas.
Encyclopedia of Food Safety
Editor-in-Chief Yasmine Motarjemi
With some 280 chapters, this encyclopedia provides unbiased and concise overviews of a broad range of food safety topics, including: history and basic sciences;foodborne diseases, including surveillance and investigation;food additives; food management systems;and many more.
Comprehensive Hard Materials
Editor-in-Chief Vinod Sarin
This work provides meaningful insights on materials at the leading edge of technology. It aids continued research and development of these materials and as such it is a critical information resource to academics and industry professionals facing the technological challenges of the future. Articles include the technologies of powder production, milling, granulation, cold and hot compaction, sintering, hot isostatic pressing, and much more. | March 2014
Encyclopedia of Health Economics
Editor-in-Chief Anthony J. Culyer
This work is a valuable resource for practitioners such as health care managers and planners, providing accessible overviews into the broad field of health economics, including the economics of designing health service finance and delivery and the economics of public and population health. | March 2014
Encyclopedia of Toxicology, 3rd Edition
Editor-in-Chief Philip Wexler
The third edition of this encyclopedia continues its comprehensive survey of toxicology. With entries devoted to key concepts and specific chemicals, and updated to reflect current advances in the field, this edition contains new and revised entries covering nanotoxicology, epigenetics, persistent organic pollutants, computational toxicology and bioinformatics, controversial chemicals and much more. | April 2014
Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology, 2nd Edition
Editors-in-Chief Carl Batt and Mary-Lou Tortorello
This encyclopedia presents a highly structured distillation of the whole field—from acetobacter to zymomonas. It benefits both academic and industrial scientists, providing information on background and state-of-the-art scientific discoveries. | May 2014
Comprehensive Organic Synthesis, 2nd Edition
Editors-in-Chief Paul Knochel and Gary A. Molander
Fully revised and updated, this new set forms an essential reference for all those seeking information on the solution of synthetic problems, whether they are experienced practitioners or chemists whose major interests lie outside organic synthesis. | May 2014
Comprehensive Materials Processing
Editor-in-Chief Saleem Hashmi
This encyclopedia provides students and professionals with a one-stop resource, consolidating and enhancing the literature of the materials processing and manufacturing universe. It provides authoritative analysis of all processes, technologies and techniques that convert raw industrial materials into finished parts or products. | June 2014
Encyclopedia of the Neurological Sciences, 2nd Edition
Editors-in-Chief Michael Aminoff and Robert Daroff
The second edition of this comprehensive work explores all areas of the discipline in its 1,000+ focused entries on many topics in neurology, neurosurgery, psychiatry and other related areas of neuroscience. The concise entries are written to be clear and thorough for the non-expert reader, and the contributing authors represent all aspects of neurology from many viewpoints and disciplines to provide a complete overview of the field. | June 2014
Pathobiology of Human Disease
Editors-in-Chief Linda McManus and Richard Mitchell
Offers a complete source of information on morphologic, clinical/diagnostic, experimental, and molecular pathology, contained within a single unified work. This work bridges traditional morphologic and clinical pathology, molecular pathology, and the underlying basic science fields of cell biology, genetics, and molecular biology, which have opened up a new era of research in pathology and underlie the molecular basis of human disease. | August 2014
Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, 2nd Edition
Editor-in-Chief Neal K. Van Alfen
This work examines topics of global agriculture and food systems that are key to understanding issues including: meeting the dietary needs of an exploding world population, reducing adverse environmental impacts of food production, and using less land and water in that production. Contains more than 200 separate chapters on the science of agriculture, agricultural products, agricultural production systems, and much more. | August 2014
Encyclopedia of Meat Sciences, 2nd Edition
Editors-in-Chief Michael Dikeman and Carrick Devine
Prepared by an international team of experts, this reference work covers all important aspects of meat science from stable to table, including animal breeding, physiology and slaughter, meat preparation, packaging, welfare, and food safety, to name a few. | September 2014
Comprehensive Biomedical Physics
Editor-in-Chief Anders Brahme
Biomedical physics is a dynamic, swiftly growing, multidisciplinary field that concerns the application of physics to medicine. This work covers each area of this field in depth, providing an important scholarly resource of great use to medical students, scientists, and medical professionals alike. Its main themes include imaging, ultrasound and x-rays, radiation and bioinformatics. | October 2014
Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd Edition
Editor-in-Chief Gerald R. North
This authoritative resource covers all aspects of atmospheric sciences—including both theory
and applications. Nearly 350 articles and over 1,900 figures and photographs are presented, many in full-color. This work is an ideal resource for academia, government, and industry in the fields of atmospheric, ocean, and environmental sciences. | November 2014
Inspire your patrons with the in-depth, trustworthy knowledge that comes from Elsevier eBooks. Delivered on our full-text ScienceDirect platform, students, teachers and researchers can quickly find the information they need in key subject areas. You also get access to important historical content through Elsevier's Legacy eBook Collection. eBooks on ScienceDirect deliver:
- Integrated book and journal content for more effective research
- Powerful search and browse tools to find information fast
- Free MARC records to drive discoverability and usage
- Download and print capabilities with no digital rights management restrictions (DRM)
- Multi-user concurrent access at any time and from any location through remote access to expand the reach of the content to your patrons
- Content that's easily read on a variety of devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile phones
Contact Elsevier Sales for a consultation and custom quote to fit your information needs.
Explore the 2015 subject area books catalogs
Titles included are available on ScienceDirect unless noted otherwise.
(Firefox users: known issues with PDF readability can be fixed with this simple change in your browser)
Elsevier's recent acquisition of Woodhead Publishing gives expanded coverage in these areas:
Available Apr, 2015
- April 2015 Major Reference Works
- April 2015 Book and Handbook Series
- April 2015 eBooks
- Reference Modules Updates
Available Mar, 2015
- March 2015 Textbooks
- March 2015 Major Reference Works
- March 2015 Book and Handbook Series
- March 2015 eBooks
Available Feb, 2015
Available Jan, 2015
Available Dec, 2014
Available Nov, 2014
Available Oct, 2014
Available Sep, 2014
Available Aug, 2014
Available Jun, 2014
Available May, 2014
Available Apr 2014
Available Mar 2014
Available Feb 2014
Available Jan 2014
Available Dec 2013
Available Oct 2013
Available Aug 2013
Available Jul 2013
Available Jun 2013
Available May 2013
Available Apr 2013
Available Mar 2013
- March 2013 Textbooks
- March 2013 Major Reference Works
- March 2013 Book and Handbook Series Volumes
- March 2013 eBooks