Life Sciences mini-reviews by Loren Wold
Synthesis of the most innovative and progressive articles in any given scientific field is the goal of all review articles published in Life Sciences. While these articles are meant to provide a broad, yet in depth review of a chosen field, they are also excellent refresher articles for the experienced researcher, and teaching tools for the aspiring scientist.
We at Life Sciences have launched a concerted effort to increase the visibility and frequency of these articles in the journal.
1. Dr. Ronglih Liao, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, and colleagues will review the role of the extracellular matrix in cardiac regeneration.
2. Dr. Merry Lindsey, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and colleagues will provide an excellent review of extracellular matrix roles during cardiac repair.
3. Dr. Brian Kaspar, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and The Ohio State University, has assembled an up-to-date article on the role of gene therapy in new treatments for cardiovascular and neurological disease.
4. Dr. Lea Delbridge, University of Melbourne, and colleagues will provide an update on cardiomyocyte responses to ischemia, with a special insight into in vitro mechanisms.
5. Dr. Stephen Schaffer, University of South Alabama, will review the important role of oxidative damage in the diabetic heart.
6. Dr. Pamela Lucchesi, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and the Ohio State University, and colleagues will review vascular bed-specific remodeling in diabetes.
The upcoming articles highlighted are only a fraction of those that you will see in the upcoming year. As indicated, we have recruited many innovative researchers to share expertise in their field. We will also begin using video podcasts of the authors to introduce new review articles in the journal. If you would like to have your article included in an upcoming issue of Life Sciences, please let us know!
Published examples are:
Volume 86, Issues 7-8, Pages 225-288 (13 February 2010)
Cathepsin L, target in cancer treatment? (Pages 225-233)
Jacqueline M. Lankelma, Daniëlle M. Voorend, Temo Barwari, Joris Koetsveld, Anne H. Van der Spek, Alexander P.N.A. De Porto, Geeske Van Rooijen, Cornelis J.F. Van Noorden
Volume 86, Issues 5-6, Pages 145-224 (30 January 2010)
Human Hsp10 and Early Pregnancy Factor (EPF) and their relationship and involvement in cancer and immunity: Current knowledge and perspectives
Simona Corrao, Claudia Campanella, Rita Anzalone, Felicia Farina, Giovanni Zummo, Everly Conway de Macario, Alberto J.L. Macario, Francesco Cappello, Giampiero La Rocca
Volume 86, Issues 3-4, Pages 73-144 (16 January 2010)
Salt, Na+,K+-ATPase and hypertension (Pages 73-78)
Ariel Jaitovich, Alejandro M. Bertorello
Volume 86, Issues 1-2, Pages 1-72 (2 January 2010)
Corticotropin releasing factor and neuroplasticity in cocaine addiction
M. Corominas, C. Roncero, M. Casas