Mosby’s “Superheroes of Nursing” contest was created to recognize the work and dedication of individual nursing professionals. In its third year, the contest opened today as a kick-off to National Nurses Week May 6 to 12. The winners will be announced in October.
The contest allows nursing peers to nominate the nurses who make extraordinary contributions for patients and the health-care system. Nominations are being accepted in five categories: the Achiever, Protector, Educator, Validator and — new this year — the Connector. [caption id="attachment_22338" align="alignright" width="191"] Cindy Tryniszewski, RN, MSN[/caption]
“We wanted to empower nurses to identify the true superheroes within the nursing community,” said Cindy Tryniszewski, RN, MSN, Executive Director of Clinical e-Learning for Elsevier. “True superheroes fight for their patients and their institutions every day without seeking recognition.”
The attributes for the five superheroes summarize the unique qualities that empower nursing leaders:
- The Achiever — The talented multi-tasker with seemingly endless knowledge and skills who always keeps an eye on what’s most important: patient care
- The Protector — Who stands strong and ready to step in at a moment’s notice to keep everyone safe in their pursuit of outstanding care
- The Educator — A natural teacher who always has a free moment to ensure nurses at all levels can find the answers they need
- The Validator — A detail-oriented problem solver who’s leading the way to quality, excellence and accreditation
- The Connector — The one nurse who bridges the gaps between care teams, technology, policies and education
How to enterVideos, photos, and essays can be uploaded May through August to nominate deserving nurses in any of the five categories on the Mosby’s Suite Facebook page. Elsevier will narrow down the nominations to a select number of submissions that best represent one of the key five categories, and the winner will be chosen from these applicants by the fans on Facebook.
The winners will be announced at the Elsevier booth during the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) National Magnet Conference October 2-4 in Orlando, Florida.
For more information about the contest, including links to the Mosby’s Suite Facebook page, visit mosbysheroes.com.
‘This really renews your spirit’“When I learned that I had been nominated, I was so emotional," said said Linda Armstrong, Resource Intensive Care Nurse at UPMC Shadyside in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and the 2012 Protector. To be nominated by someone you look up to and admire was just overwhelming. It was incredible to have your colleagues voting for you. It meant so much to me, I felt like I had already won.”
In the words of Shari Braun, RN, Clinical Nurse IV at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and the 2012 Achiever: “Everybody has hard days at work when you wonder if you chose the right career: 'Am I really helping people?' This really renews your spirit and makes you feel good about your profession.”
Tools and resources for nursesElsevier offers evidence-based tools and staff development resources that can help organizations manage performance, improve workflow and coordination of care, reduce patient care errors, and increase satisfaction to boost staff retention rates. The “Superheroes of Nursing” campaign illustrates how using these products helps develop real-life nursing superheroes.
- CPM CarePoints – evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and clinical documentation integrated in the EHR
- ExitCare – evidence-based education to empower patients with knowledge to improve outcomes
- Mosby’s Suite – four online nursing resources that provide education, reference, research tools and support at the point of care
- Elsevier Performance Manager – platform for tracking learning and performance