International Perspectives of WaterbirthBy
- Beverley Lawrence Beech, Chair of the Association for Improvements in the Maternity Services
It comprises a collection of chapters covering all aspects of waterbirth as well as a look at how waterbirth practices differ around the world.
* Why a waterbirth? Marsden Wagner, Janet Balaskas and Michel Odent
* The physiology of waterbirth. Gerd Eldering and Konrad Selke and Paul Johnson
* Waterbirth and the family. Jayn Ingrey and Roger Lichy
* Technology and childbirth. Beverley Lawrence Beech and Rosemary Jenkins
* Waterbirth and the mid-wife. Caroline Flint, Cass Nightingale and Dianne Garland.
* Waterbirth and the obstetician. Jole Muscat, Michael Adam, Patrick Snora, Michael J Rosenthal and Faith Haddad.
* Waterbirth internationally. Athena Vassie, Piera Maghella and Anne Uller.
* Waterbirth - the way forward. Judy Bothamley, Joanne Chadwick, Yehudi Gordon and Lesley Page.
Paperback, 144 Pages
Imprint: Books For Midwives
- Introduction; Opening address by Baroness Cumberlege;
Why a water birth: Birth in the 21st Century Where are we going?, Why do women want a birth pool?, Are we marine chimps?; The physiology of water birth: Water birth a possible mode of delivery?, Birth under water to breathe or not to breath?; Water birth and the family: Parents' rights when choosing to use a birth pool, Water births in a rural community; Technology and childbirth: Is obstetrics good for your health?, Assessing the effect of a new health technology; Water birth and the midwife: Water birth and the role of the midwife, Water and pain relief observations of over 570 water births at Hillingdon, The role of the midwifery supervisor; Water birth and the obstetrician: A thousand water births selection criteria and outcome, Water birth in Vienna facts, thoughts and philosophy of the Geburtshaus, Water birth in a private medical hospital in France, The use of warm water immersion in labour at the Family Birthing Centre of Upland (California), Labour and birth in water An Obstetrician's observations over a decade; Water birth internationally: Water birth in Australia, Water birth in Italy, Water birth in Denmark; Water birth - The way forward: Evaluating immersion in water issues to be considered regarding a randomised controlled trial, Water birth the safety issues, Surviving the onslaught of the uninformed; Water Birth Practice Questionnaire.