Vision in Vehicles IVEdited by
- A.G. Gale, University of Derby, UK
- I.D. Brown, MRC Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge, UK
- C.M. Haslegrave, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
- H.W. Kruysse, University of Leiden, Leiden, The Netherlands
- S.P. Taylor
This volume contains contributions illuminating much of the current research occurring in the area of visual perception. It encompasses all aspects of vision and its relationship to vehicle design, including both the internal and external design of the vehicle as well as the perceptual and cognitive limitations of the vehicle controller.
Issues specifically related to the vision of the driver are initially addressed and the problems of vehicle glazing and light transmission are considered. The major topics of
visual perception and vehicle control are covered in three related chapters encompassing: collision avoidance, vehicle signalling systems and the acquisition of visual information. Moving on to the external environment and its relationship to vision, traffic signs are discussed. Approaches to the measurement and modelling of driver behaviour are dealt with and the area of telerobotic control of vehicles is considered.
In-vehicle displays are covered in two related chapters addressing issues of visual workload and effects of display type.
It is hoped that the book, contributed to by experts from a diverse range of disciplines, including optometrists, psychologists, physiologists, human factors specialists and engineers, will stimulate the progression of research in this area, as effectively as the preceding volumes did.
Published: January 1993
- Keynote Address: Safety Relevance of Vision Research and Theory. (M.J. Koornstra). Driver's Vision. (Contributors: C.G.F. Munton, R. Schandersson, K. Chauhan, W.N. Charman, M.C.M. Dunne, E.K. White, G. Griffiths, G. Gratia, J.-L. Paumier, M. Colomb, J. Dore). Vehicle Glazing and Light Transmission. (Contributors: H. Derkum, F.R. Kessler, G.R. Cunningham). Visual Perception and Vehicle Control: Collision Avoidance. (Contributors: H. Ohta, C. Berthelon, D. Mestre, L. Harms). Visual Perception and Vehicle Control: Vehicle Signalling Systems. (Contributors: M. Fowkes, H.S. Storey, S.P. Akerboom, H.W. Kruysse, W. La Heij). Visual Perception and Vehicle Control: Visual Information Acquisition. (Contributors: J.J. Collins, M. McDonald, J. Theeuwes, M.P. Hagenzieker). Traffic Signs. (Contributors: A.A. Thieman, L.L. Avant, J. Luoma, M.C.M. Dunne, P.B. Linfield). Measurement and Modelling. (Contributors: N. Galley, S. Becker, E. Bruckmayr, J. Sonntag, A. Steinel, F.J.J.M Steyvers, T. Juergensohn, T.-M. Wolter). Telerobotic Control of Vehicles. (Contributors: K.-P. Holzhausen, F.D. Pitrella, H.-L. Wolf, E.A. Lapin, P. Peruch, P. Peruch, D. Mestre, J. Pailhous, A. Savoyant). In-Vehicle Displays: Effect on Visual Workload. (Contributors: S.H. Fairclough, M.C. Ashby, A.M. Parkes, P.W. Jordan, G.I. Johnson, M.M. Popp, B. Faerber, W.W. Wierwille). In-Vehicle Displays: Effects of Display Type and Location. (Contributors: R.J. Kiefer, L.S. Angell, G. Labiale, A. Sprenger, I. Guyard, J. Schumann, H. Godthelp, B. Farber, H. Wontorra). Posters and Workshop Report. (Contributors: M. Jessurun, F.J.J.M. Steyvers, K.A. Brookhuis, J.A. Stoop, B. Faerber, B. Faerber, H. Schweiker, P.A. Smith). Author Index. Subject Index.