VIIIth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of VirusesEdited by
- Claude Fauquet, ILTAB/Danforth Plant Science Center, University of Missouri, St. Louis, U.S.A.
- M.A. Mayo, Scottish Crop Institute, Invergowrie, Scotland
- J. Maniloff, University Rochester, New York, U.S.A.
- U. Desselberger, Virologie et Immunologie Moleculaires, Yvelines, France
- L.A. Ball, University of Alabama, Birmingham, U.S.A.
This is the standard and definitive reference for virus taxonomy, generated by the ICTV approximately every 3 years. The VIII ICTV Virus Taxonomy Report provides information on 3 orders of viruses, 73 families, 9 subfamilies, 287 genera and 1938 virus species, illustrated by more than 429 pictures and diagrams, most of them in color.
Research level virologists, microbiologists, molecular biologists, infectious disease specialists and those in the pharma sector working on antivirals
Published: July 2005
Imprint: Academic Press
"...it represents an absolute necessity for those dealing with new, so far undiscovered viruses and attempting to classify them within the exsisting taxonomic system." - ACTA VIROLOGICA (2005) "...will be of interest to almost anyone who researches any aspect of virology, uses viruses as tools or, indeed sufferse from virus infection, in order to view their particular virus in the larger context. ...I am confident that my new copy of the Eighth Edition will one day become as dog-eared with frequent use by myself and colleagues as my old Sixth Edition mst certainly has become." - Hugh J. Filed for ANTIVIRAL CHEMISTRY AND CHEMOTHERAPY (2005)
- ContentsPrefacePart I: Introduction to Universal Virus Taxonomy 3 Part II: The Viruses 9A Glossary of Abbreviations and Terms 10 Taxa Listed by Nucleic Acid and Size of the Genome 12The Virosphere 2004 14The Virus Diagrams 14The Virus Particle Structures 19The Order of Presentation of the Viruses 23The Double Stranded DNA Viruses 33The Single Stranded DNA Viruses 277The DNA and RNA Reverse Transcribing Viruses 371The Double Stranded RNA Viruses 441The Negative Sense Single Stranded RNA Viruses 607The Positive Sense Single Stranded RNA Viruses 739The Unassigned Viruses 1127The Subviral Agents 1143Viroids 1145Satellites 1161Vertebrate Prions 1169Fungal Prions 1177 Part III: The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses 1189Officers and Members of the ICTV, 1999-2002 1191The Statutes of the ICTV, 1998 1203The Code of Virus Classification and Nomenclature, 1998 1207Part IV: Indexes 1213 Virus Index 1215 Taxonomic Index 1256