The ROI Fieldbook
Strategies for Implementing ROI in HR and TrainingBy
- Patricia Phillips, President and CEO of the ROI Institute, Inc.
- Jack J. Phillips, PhD in Human Resource Management., Developer of the ROI Methodology and Chair of the ROI Institute, Inc.
- Ron Stone, Practice Leader, Jack Phillips Center for Research, a division of Franklin-Covey, Birmingham, AL, U.S.A.
- Holly Burkett, M.A., SPHR, CPT; Principal, Evaluation Works, Davis, CA, USA
Since the publication of 'Return on Investment in Training and Performance Improvement Programs,' many individuals have attempted to implement the ROI methodology in their organizations. Having a credible process does not guarantee that an organization will implement the process effectively throughout the various functions and divisions. 'The ROI Fieldbook' will help organizations implement ROI successfully, by providing concrete techniques, tools, strategies, and reproducible items.Jack Phillips and Patti Phillips and their associates have helped hundreds of organizations and individuals with their ROI workshops. 'The ROI Fieldbook' provides many different strategies for tackling the critical issues of implementation. The authors examine every key barrier to implementation and suggest strategies for overcoming, minimizing, or removing the barriers. The accompanying CD contains dozens of tools, instruments, and templates aimed at providing helpful resources for the individual or the team responsible for implementing ROI. Case studies from a variety of organizations illustrate the broad range of application and implementation. The CD also includes interactive material such as "Are You Ready for ROI"a self-assessment test. Other material includes templates for data collection, ROI analysis plan, action plan, and a cost summary sheet.
HR directors and managers, consultants working with companies on ROI
Published: September 2006
Imprint: Butterworth Heinemann
"The ROI Fieldbook is the industry's best and most practicable offering in this field to date. Using the Phillips' tools, I was able to isolate and quantify my team's impact on new sales -- $8.75 for each $1.00 invested in sales training. The ROI Fieldbook changes the game from "hoping for a seat at the table" to "driving the ROI agenda" for your function. A must for every training director and practitioner -- and their CEO/CFO." -- Steve McConnell, AVP, Producer Partner Programs, The Hartford "Performance consultants, training managers, HR practitioners -- anyone who needs to conduct an ROI impact study of a training or performance improvement initiative -- will benefit from The ROI Fieldbook. It has information, tools, templates and guidelines that you can use immediately." -- Dana Gaines Robinson and James C. Robinson, Coauthors of
Performance Consultingand Strategic Business Partner"I found the text to be well organized, and presented information in an 'easy-to-implement' manner. The Chapter on 'Forecasting the ROI' was particularly useful, with applicable examples and illustrations; and I found the Section on 'Implementation Issues', especially the oganizational readiness assessment, to be invaluable. Every performance and learning consultant needs this book in their toolkit!" -- Kimberly Green, Performance Consultant, California ISO
- Introduction: setting the stage: The challenge; How to use this book; Readiness for ROI: Readiness issues; Status of accountability; Drivers; Symptoms; Using the ROI process; Organizing for ROI: Key responsibilities for all team members and specialists; Task force approach; The independence issue; The independent staff; The limited staff approach; The no-staff approach; Staff preparation and development: Staff development issues; Certification outline/objectives; 2-day workshop outline/objectives; 1-day workshop outline/objectives; ROI briefing; ROI overview; Reading and discussion program; Getting Started: setting goals and targets: How to initiate the ROI process; Setting targets; Selecting programs for ROI; Adjusting the process; Policy and procedures: Policy and procedure issues; Topics addressed; Policy statements; Example; Tools and templates:; Planning the ROI process; Data collection for ROI; Isolating the effects of specific programs; Converting data to monetary values; Calculating the ROI; Doing it faster: just-in-time implementation: Implementation guidelines; Implementation shortcuts; Risk analysis and contingency planning; Communication: Impact studies; Progress reporting; Overall - scorecard; Importance of communication; Staying on track: Key issues; Using a project plan; Gauging reaction; Taking the results-based test again; The annual audit; Use self reviews; Using an outside review; Resources: Books; Articles; Case studies; Research reports; Web sites; Software; Professional development: The ROI network; Create your own network; Reading list; Developing case studies; Publishing case studies; Publishing articles; Making professional presentations; Serving on an expert panel.