The Concept and Measurement of Quality of Life in the Frail ElderlyEdited by
- James Birren, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- James Lubben, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- Janice Rowe, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- Donna Deutchman, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
This work presents the first serious attempt to impose rigor on the definition and measurement of quality of life among the elderly. The book uses a conference to develop background but goes well beyond the meeting in terms of depth of reviews of the literature and of integration among the chapters.This book is intended for use by researchers in the many disciplines which focus on the mental and physical well-being of the elderly, including those in medicine, nursing, psychiatry, psychology, rehabilitation, sociology and social work, among others. In addition, this book provides important background information for professionals and policy makers interested in ensuring quality of life in the later years.
Researchers in the disciplines concerned with the well-being of the elderly: psychiatry, clinical and community psychology, social work, and rehabilitation; and policy makers in these areas.
Hardbound, 388 Pages
Published: September 1991
Imprint: Academic Press
- Background:M.P. Lawton, A Multidimensional View of Quality of Life in Frail Elders.J. Cohn and J.A. Sugar, Determinants of Quality of Life in Institutions: Perceptions of Families, Staff, and Frail Older Residents.S.B. Arnold, The Measurement of Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.K.M. Gentile, A Review of the Literature on Interventions and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.The Physical World and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly:J. Pynoos and V. Regnier, Improving Residential Environments for Frail Elderly: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Application.M.A. Lieberman, Relocation of the Frail Elderly.G.R. Fernie, Assistive Devices, Robotics, and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.The Social World and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly:N.L. Chapell, The Role of Family and Friends in Quality of Life.E.P. Stanford, Minority Issues and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.The World within Us and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly:R.C. Atchley, The Influence of Aging or Frailty on Perceptions and Expressions of the Self: Theoretical and Methodological Issues.W.W. Spirduso and P.G. MacRae, Physical Activity and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.T. Svensson, Intellectual Exercise and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.Autonomy as a Factor in Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly:T. Wetle, Resident Decision-Making and Quality of Life in the Frail Elderly.R.P. Abeles, Sense of Control, Quality of Life, and Frail Older People.R.A. Kane, Personal Autonomy for Residents in Long-Term Care: Concepts and Issues of Measurement.S. Katz and B.J. Gurland, Science of Quality of Life in Elders: Challenge and Opportunity.J.E. Birren and L. Dieckmann, Concepts and Content of Quality of Life in the Later Years: An Overview.References.Index.