Surface Treatment of Materials for Adhesive Bonding
- Sina Ebnesajjad, Fluoroconsultants Group, Chadds Ford, PA, USA
- Cyrus Ebnesajjad
This book describes and illustrates the surface preparations and operations that must be applied to a surface before acceptable adhesive bonding is achieved. It is meant to be an exhaustive overview, including more detailed explanation where necessary, in a continuous and logical progression.
The book provides a necessary grounding in the science and practice of adhesion, without which adequate surface preparation is impossible. Surface characterization techniques are included, as is an up-to-date assessment of existing surface treatment technologies such as Atmospheric Plasma, Degreasing, Grit blasting, laser ablation and more. Fundamental material considerations are prioritised over specific applications, making this book relevant to all industries using adhesives, such as medical, automotive, aerospace, packaging and electronics.
This second edition represents a full and detailed update, with all major developments in the field included and three chapters added to cover ceramic surface treatment, plasma treatment of non-metallic materials, and the effect of additives on surface properties of plastics.
Materials scientists, mechanical engineers, plastics engineers, engineers and scientists involved in surface treatment and adhesion, adhesives industry, sectors involved in innovative uses of adhesives â e.g. medical devices, automotive, aerospace, electronics. Materials engineers in paint and coating fields.
- Published: October 2013
- Imprint: WILLIAM ANDREW
- ISBN: 978-0-323-26435-8
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Surface Preparation
- Surface Tension and its Measurement
- Surface Energy of Solids and its Measurement
- Surface and Material Characterization Techniques
- Theories of Adhesion
- Material Surface Preparation Techniques
- Surface Preparation of Metals
- Surface Preparation of Thermoplastics, Thermosets, and Elastomers
- Plasma Treatment of Polymeric Materials
- Effects of Additives on Surface Treatment of Plastics
- Surface Treatment and Bonding of Ceramics
- Adhesion Promoters