Safety Design for Space Operations
- Firooz Allahdadi, Former Director of Space Safety Division of the United States Air Force (USAF), and representative of US Department of Defence in the Inter-Agency Nuclear Safety Review Panel, Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States of America.
- Isabelle Rongier, Inspector General and Director of Inspection and Quality, of the French Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales (CNES), Paris, France.
- Paul Wilde, Technical Advisor at the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Houston, Texas, United States of America.
- Tommaso Sgobba, President of the International Association for the Advancement of Space Safety (IAASS) and former Head of the Independent Safety Office at the European Space Agency (ESA), Noordwijk, Netherlands.
With information on space operations safety design currently disparate and difficult to find in one place, this unique reference brings together essential material on:
- Best design practices relating to space operations, such as the design of spaceport facilities.
- Advanced analysis methods, such as those used to calculate launch and re-entry debris fall-out risk.
- Implementation of safe operation procedures, such as on-orbit space traffic management.
- Safety considerations relating to the general public and the environment in addition to personnel and asset protection.
Taking in launch operations safety relating unmanned missions, such as the launch of probes and commercial satellites, as well as manned missions, Safety Design for Space Operations provides a comprehensive reference for engineers and technical managers within aerospace and high technology companies, space agencies, spaceport operators, satellite operators and consulting firms.
AudienceAerospace engineers, systems engineering and safety managers working in space agencies, the commercial space industry and consulting firms. Also suitable for use as a reference for senior and graduate level courses covering mission design and space safety.
- Published: April 2013
- Imprint: BUTTERWORTH HEINEMANN
- ISBN: 978-0-08-096921-3
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to Space Operations Safety
Chapter 2. Spaceport Design for Safety
Chapter 3. Ground Safety: Special Topics
Chapter 4. Safety in Launch Operations
Chapter 5. Other Launch safety Hazards
Chapter 6. Nuclear-powered payload safety
Chapter 7. On-Orbit Mission Control
Chapter 8. Orbital operations safety
Chapter 9. Re-entry operations safety
Chapter 10. Air-Space Traffic Interface Management
Chapter 11. Safety of Ground-based Space Laser Application
Chapter 12. The Use of Quantitative Risk assessment in the Operations Phase of Space Missions
Appendix A. Meteorology and Range Safety
Appendix B. Human and Structural Vulnerability
Appendix C. Launch Chronology and Launch Failures
Appendix D. Lightning Protection Systems
Appendix E. The Role of Economics in Spaceport Safety
Appendix F. Re-Entry Risk Formulas