With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
- Michael South, Specialist in Intensive Care; Director, Department of General Medicine, Royal Children's Hospital; Professor and Deputy Head of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- David Isaacs, MB, BChir, MD, MRCP, FRACP, Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, The New Children's Hospital, Royal Alexandria Hospital for Children, Australia
This is the seventh edition of a highly regarded, major textbook of paediatrics.
- Covers the social and preventative aspects of child health
- Covers the common diseases of childhood and their treatment with a presenting-problem approach
- Clinical examples throughout
- Key learning points in Practical Points boxes throughout
- Clearly sign-posted text
- 51 new chapter authors
- All chapters brought up to date with major re-writes of several chapters
- New chapter on Sleep Problems
- New chapter on Refugee Health
- Over 500 interactive self-assessment questions
- Further reading
- Links to other helpful online resources
- Additional illustrations
Medical students<BR/>Trainee paediatricians
- Published: June 2012
- Imprint: CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE
- ISBN: 978-0-7020-5126-5
Part 1 Current paediatrics.
1.1 Child health and disease
1.2 Child health in a global context
Part 2 Clinical assessment.
2.1 The clinical consultation
2.2 Developmental surveillance and assessment
Part 3 Social and preventative paediatrics.
3.1 The child and the Family
3.2 Indigenous culture and health
3.7 Failure to thrive
3.8 Developmental disability
3.9 Child abuse
3.10 Sudden unexpected death in infancy
3.11 Care of the adolescent
3.13 Sleep problems
3.14 Refugee health
Part 4 Behaviour and mental health needs in childhood.
4.1 Life events of normal children
4.2 Common mental health problems
4.3 Hyperactivity and inattention
4.4 Major psychiatric disorders
Part 5 Paediatric emergencies.
5.1 Emergencies: causes and assessment
5.3 Poisoning and envenomation
Part 6 Fluid replacement.
6.1 Fluid replacement therapy
Part 7 Principles of imaging in childhood.
Part 8 Common orthopaedic problems.
8.1 Orthopaedic problems
Part 9 Common paediatric surgical problems.
9.1 Surgical conditions in older children
Part 10 Inherited and metabolic problems.
10.1 Birth defects, prenatal diagnosis and teratogens
10.2 Modern genetics
10.3 The dysmorphic child
10.4 Genetic counselling
10.5 Inborn errors of metabolism
Part 11 Neonatal problems.
11.1 The newborn infant: stabilisation and examination
11.2 Low birth weight, prematurity and jaundice in infancy
11.3 Breathing problems in the newborn
11.4 Congenital and perinatal infections
11.5 Surgical conditions in the newborn
Part 12 Infections
12.1 Infectious disease
12.2 Bone and joint infections
12.3 Meningitis and encephalitis
12.4 Infections in tropical and developing countries
Part 13 Allergy, immunity and inflamation.
13.2 Immunodeficiency and its investigation
13.3 Arthritis and connective tissue disorders
Part 14 Respiratory disorders.
14.1 Acute upper respiratory infections
14.4 Wheezing disorders other than asthma
14.5 Lower respiratory tract infections and abnormalities
14.6 An approach to chronic cough and cystic fibrosis
Part 15 Cardiac disorders.
15.1 Suspected heart disease: assessment
15.2 Heart disease
Part 16 Haematological disorders and malignancies
16.2 Abnormal bleeding and clotting
Part 17 Seizure disorders and disorders of the nervous system.
17.1 Seizures and epilepsies
17.2 Cerebral palsy and neurodegenerative disorders
17.3 Neuromuscular disorders
17.4 Neural tube defects, large heads and hydrocephalus
Part 18 Urinary tract disorders and hypertension.
18.1 Urinary tract infections and malformations
18.2 Glomerulonephritis, renal failure and hypertension
Part 19 Endocrine disorders.
19.1 Growth and variations of growth
19.2 Thyroid disorders
19.3 The child of uncertain sex
19.5 Bone mineral disorders
Part 20 Gastrointestinal tract and hepatic disorders.
20.1 Abdominal pain and vomiting
20.2 Infective diarrhoea and inflammatory bowel disease
20.3 Chronic diarrhoea and malabsorption
20.4 Gastro-oesophageal reflux and Helicobacter pylori infection
20.5 Liver diseases
Part 21 Skin disorders.
21.1 Skin disorders
Part 22 ENT, eye and dental disorders.
22.1 Ear, nose and throat disorders
22.2 Eye disorders
22.3 Teeth and oral cavity disorders