PEEK Biomaterials HandbookBy
- Steven Kurtz
PEEK biomaterials are currently used in thousands of spinal fusion patients around the world every year. Durability, biocompatibility and excellent resistance to aggressive sterilization procedures make PEEK a polymer of choice, replacing metal in orthopedic implants, from spinal implants and hip replacements to finger joints and dental implants.
This Handbook brings together experts in many different facets related to PEEK clinical performance as well as in the areas of materials science, tribology, and biology to provide a complete reference for specialists in the field of plastics, biomaterials, medical device design and surgical applications.
Steven Kurtz, author of the well respected UHMWPE Biomaterials Handbook and Director of the Implant Research Center at Drexel University, has developed a one-stop reference covering the processing and blending of PEEK, its properties and biotribology, and the expanding range of medical implants using PEEK: spinal implants, hip and knee replacement, etc.
Plastics Engineers, Materials Engineers, Biomedical Engineers; Professionals in Spine and Orthopedic Industry and Academia; Teachers and Students of Biomaterials, Medical Device sector OEMs.
Hardbound, 306 Pages
Published: November 2011
Imprint: William Andrew
- PART 1: PEEK Foundations, properties and behavior
1. Introduction to PAEK Biomaterials
2. Processing of PEEK
3. Blending and PEEK Composites
4. Morphology and Crystalline Architecture of Polyaryletherketones
5. Static Mechanical Behavior of PEEK
6. Fatigue and Fracture Behavior of PEEK
7. Chemical and Radiation Stability of PEEK: Implications for Device Sterilization
PART 2: Bioactive PEEK Materials
8. Biocompatibility of PEEK
9. Microbial Properties of PEEK Biomaterials
10. Thermal Plasma Spray Deposition of Titanium and Hydroxyapatite on PEEK Implants
11. Plasma Surface Treatment of PEEK
12. HA/PEEK Biocomposites
13. Porosity in PEEK Marcus
PART 3: PEEK Applications in Medical Devices
14. Development and Clinical Performance of PEEK Intervertebral Cages
15. PEEK Biomaterials for Posterior Dynamic Stabilization of the Spine
16. PEEK Research for Trauma and Arthroscopy Applications
17. Development and Clinical Performance of PEEK Composite Hip Stems
18. Total Joint Arthroplasty Bearing Surfaces
19. Tribology of PEEK Biomaterials for Artificial Discs
20. FDA Regulation of PEEK Implants