Nunn's Applied Respiratory PhysiologyBy
- Andrew Lumb, MB, BS, FRCA, Consultant Anaesthetist, Senior Clinical Lecturer in Anaesthesia, St James's Hospital, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Nunn's Applied Respiratory Physiology, Seventh Edition covers all aspects of respiratory physiology in health, disease, and altered conditions and environments, from basic science to clinical applications.
- Includes functional anatomy, mechanics, control of breathing, ventilation, circulation, ventilation-perfusion matching, diffusion, carbon dioxide and oxygen, and non-respiratory functions of the lung.
- Discusses the effects of pregnancy, exercise, sleep, altitude, pressure, drowning, smoking, anaesthesia, hypocapnia, hypercarbia, hypoxia, hyperoxia, and anaemia on respiratory physiology.
- Explores specific clinical disorders such as ventilatory failure, airways disease, pulmonary vascular disease, parenchymal lung disease, and acute lung injury, as well as the physiological basis of current therapies, including artificial ventilation, extrapulmonary gas exchange, and lung transplantation.
- Chapter on Parenchymal Lung Disease has been specifically expanded to include the physiology and pathology of the pleural space and lung cancer.
- Contains a new chapter on Pulmonary Surgery, covering a wide range of surgical interventions from bronchoscopy to lung resection.
- Includes almost 500 new references to the literature.
The result is an invaluable source for those preparing for examinations in anaesthesia and intensive care, as well as an essential purchase for practitioners who want quick reference to current knowledge.
Trainee and practicing anaesthetists, intensivists, respiratory physicians and those seeking information on the basic principles and applications of lung function.
Hardbound, 568 Pages
Published: August 2010
Imprint: Churchill Livingstone
Part 1 Basic Principles
1 The Atmosphere
2 Functional Anatomy of the Respiratory Tract
3 Elastic Forces and Lung Volumes
4 Respiratory System Resistance
5 Control of Breathing
6 Pulmonary Ventilation
7 The Pulmonary Circulation
8 Distribution of Pulmonary Ventilation and Perfusion
9 Diffusion of Respiratory Gases
10 Carbon Dioxide
12 Non-respiratory Functions of the Lung
13 The History of Respiratory Physiology
Part 2 Applied Physiology
14 Pregnancy, Neonates and Children
17 High Altitude and Flying
18 High Pressure and Diving
19 Respiration in Closed Environments and Space
21 Smoking and Air Pollution
23 Changes in the Carbon Dioxide Partial Pressure
26 Hyperoxia and Oxygen Toxicity
Part 3 Physiology of Pulmonary Disease
27 Ventilatory Failure
28 Airways Disease
29 Pulmonary Vascular Disease
30 Diseases of the Lung Parenchyma and Pleura
31 Acute Lung Injury
32 Respiratory Support and Artificial Ventilation
33 Pulmonary Surgery
Physical quantities and units of measurement
The gas laws
Conversion factors for gas volumes
Symbols and abbreviations
Mathematical functions relevant to respiratory physiology