Network Processor Design
Issues and Practices, Volume 3Edited by
- Mark Franklin, Washington University, St. Louis
- Patrick Crowley, Associate Professor, Computer Science & Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis
- Haldun Hadimioglu, Polytechnic University, New York
- Peter Onufryk, Integrated Device Technology, Inc.
The past few years have seen significant change in the landscape of high-end network processing. In response to the formidable challenges facing this emerging field, the editors of this series set out to survey the latest research and practices in the design, programming, and use of network processors. Through chapters on hardware, software, performance and modeling, Volume 3 illustrates the potential for new NP applications, helping to lay a theoretical foundation for the architecture, evaluation, and programming of networking processors.Like Volume 2 of the series, Volume 3 further shifts the focus from achieving higher levels of packet processing performance to addressing other critical factors such as ease of programming, application developments, power, and performance prediction. In addition, Volume 3 emphasizes forward-looking, leading-edge research in the areas of architecture, tools and techniques, and applications such as high-speed intrusion detection and prevention system design, and the implementation of new interconnect standards.
Paperback, 336 Pages
Published: February 2005
Imprint: Morgan Kaufmann
- 1. Network Processors: New HorizonsPatrick Crowley, Mark A. Franklin, Haldun Hadimioglu, Peter Z. Onufryk2. Supporting Mixed Real-Time Workloads inMultithreaded Processors with SegmentedInstruction Caches Patrick Crowley3. Efficient Packet Classification with Digest CachesFrancis Chang, Wu-chang Feng, Wu-chi Feng, Kang Li4 Towards a Flexible Network Processor Interface forRapidIO, Hypertransport, and PCI-ExpressChristian Sauer, Matthias Gries, Kurt Keutzer, Jose Ignacio Gomez5. A High-Speed, Multithreaded TCP Offload Engine for 10 Gb/s EthernetYatin Hoskote, Sriram Vangal, Vasantha Erraguntla, Nitin Borkar6. A Hardware Platform for Network Intrusion Detection and PreventionChris Clark,Wenke Lee, David Schimmel, Didier Contis, Mohamed Koné, Ashley Thomas7. Packet Processing on a SIMD Stream Processor Jathin S. Rai, Yu-Kuen Lai, Gregory T. Byrd8. A Programming Environment for Packet-ProcessingSystems: Design Considerations Harrick Vin, Jayaram Mudigonda, Jamie Jason, Erik J. Johnson,Roy Ju, Aaron Kunze, Ruiqi Lian9. RNOSA Middleware Platform for Low-CostPacket-Processing DevicesJonas Greutert, Lothar Thiele10. On the Feasibility of Using Network Processors for DNA Queries Herbert Bos, Kaiming Huang11. Pipeline Task Scheduling on Network Processors Mark A. Franklin, Seema Datar12. A Framework for Design Space Exploration of Resource Efficient Network Processing on Multiprocessor SoCs Matthias Grünewald, Jörg-Christian Niemann, Mario Porrmann, Ulrich Rückert13. Application Analysis and Resource Mappingfor Heterogeneous Network Processor Architectures Ramaswamy Ramaswamy, Ning Weng, Tilman WolfReferences Index