Multilayer Flexible Packaging
Technology and Applications for the Food, Personal Care, and Over-the-Counter Pharmaceutical IndustriesBy
- John R. Wagner, Jr.
A comprehensive and highly practical survey of the materials, hardware, processes and applications of flexible plastic films.
Aimed at a wide audience of engineers, technicians, managers, purchasing agents and users, Multilayer Flexible Packaging provides a thorough introduction to the manufacturing and applications of flexible plastic films, covering:
- Hardware and Processes
- Multilayer film designs and applications
The materials coverage includes detailed sections on polyethylene, polypropylene and additives. The dies used to produce multilayer films are explored in the hardware section, and the process engineering of film manufacture explained, with a particular focus on meeting specifications and targets. The section includes unique coverage of the problematic area of bending technology, providing a unique explanation of the issues involved in the blending of viscoelastic non-Newtonian polymeric materials.
About the author
John R. Wagner, Jr. is President of Crescent Associates, Inc., a consulting firm that specializes in plastic films and flexible packaging. He graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering.
Plastics engineers, process engineers, quality assurance and reliability engineers and manufacturing engineers who manufacture, convert and use flexible plastic films.
Hardbound, 258 Pages
Published: September 2009
Imprint: William Andrew
Part I: Introduction
Part II: Resins
2. PE Processes
4. Additives to design and improve the performance of multilayer flexible packaging
5. Rheology of molten polymers
Part III: Technologies
6. Coextrusion equipment for multilayer flat films and sheets
7. Multilayer blown (tubular) film dies
8. Process engineering
9. Blown film, cast film and lamination processes
10. Machine direction oriented film technology
11. Oriented film technology
12. Polymer blending for packaging applications
13. Water- and solvent-based coating technology
14. Vacuum metallizing for flexible packaging
Part IV: Multilayer Films - Descriptions, Performance Characteristics, Uses, Considerations, Properties
15. PE based multilayer film structure
16. Multilayer oriented films