Comprehensive Biotechnology, 2nd editionEditor-in-Chief:
- Murray Moo-Young, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Michael Butler, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Colin Webb, University of Manchester, Manchester, U.K.
- Antonio Moreira, University of Maryland, Baltimore, U.S.A.
- Bernard Grodzinski, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada
- Z.F. Cui, Dept. of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Oxford, U.K.
- Spiros Agathos, Catholic University of Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belguim
"It would be very difficult to thoroughly cover the scope of biotechnology in one book. But this new edition of Comprehensive Biotechnology (1st ed., 1989) accomplishes what the title claims; the six-volume set provides detailed synopses of the applications, instruments, methodologies, and principles of modern biotechnology. Volume 1 provides the science background needed to understand biotechnology; it covers the essential biochemistry, biology, biophysics, chemistry, and computer science used in biotechnology applications and research. An explanation of engineering principles relevant to biotechnology follows in volume 2. The authors focus on engineering concepts appropriate to biotechnology product manufacturing. The third volume builds on the first two volumes in its coverage of biotechnology applications in industry and commodity products, including coverage of food ingredients, clinical products, and specialty chemicals. Summing Up: Highly recommended. Lower-division undergraduates through professionals."--CHOICE