Multi-criteria Decision Analysis for Supporting the Selection of Engineering Materials in Product Design
- Ali Jahan, Ph.D., Department of Industrial Engineering, Semnan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Semnan, Iran
- Kevin Edwards, Ph.D., School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University, Birmingham, UK; Editor-in-Chief, Elsevier's journal Materials and Design
It is a constant challenge for designers, even when educated in the fundamentals of materials and mechanical engineering, to select the best materials to satisfy complex design problems. Current approaches to materials selection range from the use of intuition and experience to computer-based methods including electronic databases and search engines. Increasingly, MCDM methods are proving effective in materials selection for complex design problems. These methods supplement existing quantitative methods, such as selection charts, by allowing simultaneous consideration of design attributes, component configurations and types of material.
This book is intended for researchers in materials engineering disciplines and in operational research in the area of multi criteria decision analysis. It can also be used as a reference text for engineering practitioners (from aerospace to biomedical) to help select the best material(s) for advanced design applications.
- Published: March 2013
- Imprint: BUTTERWORTH HEINEMANN
- ISBN: 978-0-08-099386-7
- Screening of Materials
- Multi-Criteria Decision Making (MCDM) for Materials Selection
- MADM for Ranking of Candidate Materials
- Case Studies of Using Materials Ranking
- Future Developments