Midwifery Essentials: Basics
- Helen Baston
- Jennifer Hall
- Alys Einion
Basics is the first title in the Midwifery Essentials series and prepares the reader to understand and master a range of clinical skills safely and with confidence.
The jigsaw model of midwifery care is introduced and explained, providing a framework to explore the application of each of the clinical skills described in subsequent chapters. Central to undertaking each of the skills discussed is the need to communicate effectively with women and their families.
- Effective communication for each clinical skill
- Principles of infection control and hygiene
- Essential observations of blood pressure, temperature and pulse
- Collection of specimens and blood from woman and baby, urinalysis, and venepuncture
- Principles of medicines management and injection technique
- Fundamentals of surgical care.
Student and practising midwives; labour ward personnel; nurses undertaking midwifery training.
Published: September 2009
Imprint: Churchill Livingstone
- Basics Volume:
3. Hygiene and infection control: the immobile woman
4. Blood pressure measurement
5. Temperature measurement
6. Pulse and respiration
7. Collection of specimens
10. Neonatal blood tests
11. Administration of medicines
12. Administration of injections
13. Surgical care