Methods in Biomedical Informatics
A pragmatic approach
Seeking to cross the bridge between overview, theory, and practice, this book incorporates both methodological approaches and their potential application in the domains associated with biomedical informatics.
The multi-contributor book is useful for (1) those coming from a domain seeking biomedical informatics approaches for addressing specific needs; and, (2) current biomedical informaticians seeking a foundational background for methods that might be utilized in practical scenarios germane to their on-going research.A unique characteristic of the text will thus be the balance between foundational coverage of core topics in biomedical informatics with practical "in-the-trenches" scenarios.
Hardbound, 486 Pages
Published: October 2013
Imprint: Academic Press
- Introduction - Neil Sarkar, University of Vermont
- Biomedical Data Types and Need for Data Integration - Prakash Nadkarni, Yale University
- Knowledge Representation - Mark Musen, Stanford/ Olivier Bodenreider, NIH
- Data Processing and Management - Fernando Martin-Sanchez, Univ of Melbourne
- Information Retrieval - Bill Hersh, Oregon Health & Science University
- Information Theory - Steve Johnson, Columbia University
- Natural Language Processing - Lynette Hirschman, Mitre Corp (Bedford, MA) / Kevin Cohen, Univ. of Colorado
- Data Mining - John Holmes, UPENN
- Large Scale Data Analysis - Hannah Tipney, Univ. of Colorado
- Bayesian Modeling - Gil Alterovitz, MIT
- Tensor Modeling - Ken Baclawski, Northeastern Univ.
- Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction - Jason Moore, Dartmouth University
- Evaluation - Chuck Friedman, US Department of Health & Human Services
- Engineering - Riccardo Bellazzi, Univ. of Pavia
- Hypothesis Discovery from Heterogeneous Knowledge Sources - Yves Lussier, Univ. of Chicago
- Moving from Genomic Deluge to Clinical Interventions - Atul Butte, Stanford Univ.
- Putting Theory into Practice - Neil Sarkar, Univ. of Vermont
Appendix 1. XML Primer (Liz Chen / Neil Sarkar)Appendix 2. Unix Primer (Liz Chen / Neil Sarkar)
Appendix 3. Ruby Primer (Liz Chen / Neil Sarkar)Appendix 4. MySQL Primer (Liz Chen / Neil Sarkar)
Appendix 5. Web Services Primer (Liz Chen / Neil Sarkar)