Metal Foams: A Design GuideBy
- Michael Ashby, Royal Society Research Professor Emeritus at Cambridge University and Former Visiting Professor of Design at the Royal College of Art, London, UK
- Tony Evans, Princeton University
- NA Fleck, Cambridge Centre for Micromechanics, University of Cambridge
- J.W. Hutchinson, Division of Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
- H.N.G. Wadley, University of Virginia
- L. J. Gibson, Department of Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Metal foams are at the forefront of technological development for the automotive, aerospace, and other weight-dependent industries. They are formed by various methods, but the key facet of their manufacture is the inclusion of air or other gaseous pockets in the metal structure.The fact that gas pockets are present in their structure provides an obvious weight advantage over traditionally cast or machined solid metal components. The unique structure of metal foams also opens up more opportunities to improve on more complex methods of producing parts with space inclusions such as sand-casting. This guide provides information on the advantages metal foams possess, and the applications for which they may prove suitable.
Materials and metallurgy scientists and students
Design Engineers in automobile, air, and mechanical engineering
Foundry technicians and development staff
Hardbound, 251 Pages
Published: June 2000
Imprint: Butterworth Heinemann
Offers an insight into metal foams which are often at the forefront of technological development for the automotive, aerospace, and other weight-dependent industries.The text provides an excellent data base of information on the properties, performance, and applications of these materials.The text offers a concise description of metal foams...applications are nicely covered. -Sampe Journal Offers a concise description of metal foams, their manufacture, and their advantages in industry. Provides engineers with answers to vital design questions surrounding metal foams. Satisfies a major need for information on the properties, performance, and applications of these materials. -Engineering Designer ...this book is an interesting read even for those with little research or commercial interest in metallic foams. -Materials World This book does what the title suggests-it provides the reader with a rich resource on metallic foams. It is bang up-to-date, with many references less than two years old. -Materials World ...this book has everything you ever wanted to know about metalic foams but were afraid to ask. -Materials World
- Introduction; Making Metal Foams; Characterization Methods; Properties of Metal Foams; Design Analysis for Material Selection; Design Formulae for Simple Structures; A Constitutive Model for Metal Foams; Design for Creep with Metal Foams; Sandwich Structures; Energy Management: Packaging and Blast Protection; Sound Absorption and Vibration Suppression; Thermal Management and Heat Transfer; Electrical Properties of Metal Foams; Cutting, Finishing and Joining; Cost Estimation and Viability; Case Studies; Suppliers of Metal Foams; Web Sites; Index .