Written by acknowledged experts in the field, this authoritative text presents a comprehensive overview of reproductive management of horses, including management of stallions, pregnant mares, and neonatal foals. Discussions are concise and practical, with detailed information on techniques used in reproductive examination, breeding procedures, pregnancy diagnosis, foaling, and reproductive tract surgery. This outstanding 2nd edition features a new chapter on the use of breeding records to evaluate stallion fertility and improve management of breeding stallions. High-quality photographs and line drawings, many new to this edition, clearly depict procedures.
New to the second edition!
All chapters have been updated to present the latest information on every subject, including:
* Discussion of the use of GnRH-analog deslorelin (Ovuplant) to hasten ovulation
* Aseptic technique for endometrial biopsy
* Use of transabdominal ultrasonography, especially in early pregnancy
* Determination of fetal gender by transrectal ultrasonography
* Causes and treatment of uterine rupture
* New sepsis scoring system to accurately predict sepsis
* Ground semen collection procedure described and illustrated Â¡V using an artificial vagina
* Ultrasound techniques used to detect intratesticular masses, evaluate accessory genital glands, explore for undescended testis, and confirm secretions from the prostate, ampullae, and ductus deferens
* Aspiration testicular biopsy using a spring-loaded biopsy instrument
* New containers for transporting cooled semen through airport security with heightened radiation exposure
* New technique for castration that involves removing the bottom of the scrotum to provide better drainage results and fewer complications
* New section on laparoscopic castration
* Procedure for treating hematuria in geldings
* Procedure for surgical embryo transfer
And a whole lot more!