Managing Sports Organizations
Responsibility for PerformanceBy
- Daniel Covell, assistant professor of sport management, School of Business at Western New England College in Springfield, Massachusetts
- Sharianne Walker, associate professor of sport management at Western New England College
- Peter Hess, professor of management at Western New England College
- Julie Siciliano, associate professor of management at Western New England College
Managing Sport Organizations, 2e is a newly updated and comprehensive introduction to the themes and elements surrounding sport management. The book teaches management theory and principles in a coherent manner, helping to reinforce these concepts for students in schools of business, and serving to introduce them to students in other school settings (kinesiology, exercise science, sport science). The authors introduce important industry segment information chapter by chapter, allowing students to wed theory and application throughout. An online Instructorâs Manual and a Test Bank are available as well.
First and second year sport management majors (undergraduate)Secondary readership:Graduate level sport management students in management focused intro courses
Published: February 2007
Imprint: Butterworth Heinemann
"Using the authorsâ breadth of experiences in the field of sport management, Managing Sport Organizations, Second Edition provides a comprehensive discussion of the fundamentals of management within the sport industry. By beginning each chapter with discussion of a major sector of the industry, students are exposed to the diverse opportunities available to them. Using practical examples from these different sectors, students are provided the principles of management and how these principles apply to real world settings. Written in an engaging and straightforward manner, anyone with interest in sport will find this text to be accessible and informative." -- Laura J. Burton, Assistant Professor, Sport Management, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut "Managing Sport Organizations, Second Edition is an engaging and informative look at the business of sport and the organizations that shape the industry . Students and practitioners will benefit from the extensive research, the real world examples, and the insightful observations. This book is a top-notch and practical guide for those in the business and students looking to become the next great managers in the sport industry." - Wade Martin, President & General Manager, Dew Action Sports Tour
- Chapter 1: The Sport Management Challenge; Chapter 2: Globalization, Ethics, and the Sporting Goods and Athletic Footwear and Apparel Industry ; Chapter 3: Information technology management and sport media; Chapter 4: Developing goals and school and youth sports; Chapter 5: Decision making and the health and fitness industry; Chapter 6: Strategic Management and Sport Facilities; Chapter 7: Designing the Organization and Sport Agency; Chapter 8: Motivation and Leadership and Professional League Sport; Chapter 9Human Resource Management and the Tour Sport Industry; Chapter 10: Managing change in intercollegiate athletics.